Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I've recently had the fuel gauge sender on my 2003 Rav4 NV due to having erratic readings on the gauge. Now I'm still getting erratic readings insomuch as the gauge will show say half full one minute then three quarters full the next and visa versa. Sometimes the low fuel light will come on only to change and the gauge suddenly shows a quarter of a tank full left, it's driving me nuts. Can anyone advise if there's a way to let's say reset the gauge/sender unit, or is there a relay or something needing replaced?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I would change the topic title to 'Broken Fuel Gauge' to distinguish it from the very many complaints about the fuel efficiency gauge.

I look forward to the expertise here on this.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple of points Pico, I'm a returning poster not new albeit I'm not posting very often and the heading is "fuel gauge inaccuracy" as the gauge is not broken. That said my thanks for you reading my post, now if any member can shed a light on this it would be much appreciated...bosshogg

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Sounds to me the gauge itself not the sender may be the problem. The float has a pretty active ride as the gas moves around constantly as the car is driven. If the gauge read an instantaneous level is would act just like yours apparently does. An electrical dampening is built into the gauge to avoid the jitters. Leads me to believe the dampening circuit may have failed and gauge itself is the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts