Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under normal circumstances, I rarely let the fuel gauge dip below 1/4 tank. But every now and then, it happens.

My problem is, once it gets below 1/4 tank, sometimes it doesn't have an accurate reading. For instance, I can start up the RAV and the gauge will say I'm empty and the fuel light will come on. Without moving, I can turn the car off, restart it, and the gauge will move back up to 1/4 tank. And sometimes, it will sloooooowly creep back up to 1/4 after driving a few miles, and sometimes it won't.

Like I said, normally, I fill 'er up before getting that low, but it can be quite unnerving to see that fuel light when I know I have at least a good 50 miles left before I have to stop for gas.

Anyone ever experience this? Is there a fix or anything? My gut tells me I'll just have to live with it, but I was just curious to know if it is a common problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Live with it.. it's just the say the tank is built and also the inverted U shape that it is. You'll notice that if you park with the front lower the the rear that the fuel gauge will under-read the tank and vice versa. What you really should do is reset the tripmeter after you've filled up and "average" the consumption you've been getting and then it gives you another "gauge" if you've been driving normally.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hobie411 said:
Under normal circumstances, I rarely let the fuel gauge dip below 1/4 tank. But every now and then, it happens.

My problem is, once it gets below 1/4 tank, sometimes it doesn't have an accurate reading. For instance, I can start up the RAV and the gauge will say I'm empty and the fuel light will come on. Without moving, I can turn the car off, restart it, and the gauge will move back up to 1/4 tank. And sometimes, it will sloooooowly creep back up to 1/4 after driving a few miles, and sometimes it won't.

Like I said, normally, I fill 'er up before getting that low, but it can be quite unnerving to see that fuel light when I know I have at least a good 50 miles left before I have to stop for gas.

Anyone ever experience this? Is there a fix or anything? My gut tells me I'll just have to live with it, but I was just curious to know if it is a common problem.

Must you drive till only half gallon is left in the tank?? LOL !!

My RAV does that too. It is a design thing....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have little different Problem, my gauge shows it is filled with 1/4 and as per my miles travelled, I also believe that there is enough fuel in the tank but my RAV4 2009 does not start until I refill it with some 2 gallons. Help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts