Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have fuel injector cleaning done on the RAV4 and see a difference in fuel consumption?

I have a 1997 RAV4 auto/awd, 112,000kms , sucking gas reeeaaal bad. 16L/100km (about 15mpg)!!
I'm wondering if it could be 1 or more dirty fuel injectors.

If that is the case, then 1 or more will not burn all the fuel efficiently and will be running lean. So extra O2 will come out in the exhaust. That in turn causes the O2 sensor reading to show lean (too much O2 in exhaust). This tells the ECU to add more fuel to compensate for the apparent lean mix. But really now it gets richer and you end up with TOO rich = poor efficiency.

So 1 bad apple spoils the bunch!

-air filter ok, plugs ok, distributor + wires replaced, all trans fluids replaced.
-Feels sluggish. But goes if I push it (lead footing)
-no smoke, idle problems, smells, exhaust leak or check-engine lights.
-water temp OK.

ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS APPRECIATED.
I WILL TRY RESETTING MY ECU (batt. disconnect).
Apparently a few of you have tried this and seen improvements. But after the 40 starts, the ECU might learn back the old habits and back to square1.

Larry

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
For what it's worth, I've used do-it-yourself fuel treatments as well as reset the ECU and have not noticed any kind of difference at all in terms of performance, driveability or fuel economy. That said, I'm getting 11-12 L/100 km (19-20 mpg) around town so it's not as bad as yours.

It does improve into the 8.5-9 L/100 km (26-27 mpg) range on the highway so I have a feeling there's nothing wrong with mine anyway. But at 16 L/100 km I'd be concerned.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Fuel Injectors

For what its worth I have had the fuel injectors get crudded up on my 1984 Dodge Datona Turbo Z in the past. Only driven 27000 miles sense I bought it in 1992. Anyway I use one bottle of high quality injector cleaner along with one bottle of gas line antifreeze to 5 gal of premium fuel or two to ten. Thats always cleaned them right up. Other people have tryed my concoctsion and its always worked.I prefer the two in ten combo along with a fifty to one hundred mile hwy drive. :D :cheers:

vicco27........Keep Rollin.

PS Once clean run a bottle of injector cleaner every five or six tankfulls of fuel and you won't have any more problems.Good Luck. and Keep......Rollin. :cheers: again

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Fuel Injectors

hi vicco27, What is the "high quality injector cleaner" you used? And what size (mL, oz)? That 1 bottle cleaner to 5 gallons ratio is WAY high! Is that safe?

For my 58L tank (15.3gals), the 1 to 5 ratio works out to 3 bottles in one tank!

I've never believed in injector cleaner (the 1 per every other fill type). I guess I thought it might be ok for prevention but not for a cure.

However, I am willing to try this experiement of 3 bottles.

Larry

vicco27 said:
For what its worth I have had the fuel injectors get crudded up on my 1984 Dodge Datona Turbo Z in the past. Only driven 27000 miles sense I bought it in 1992. Anyway I use one bottle of high quality injector cleaner along with one bottle of gas line antifreeze to 5 gal of premium fuel or two to ten. Thats always cleaned them right up. Other people have tryed my concoctsion and its always worked.I prefer the two in ten combo along with a fifty to one hundred mile hwy drive. :D :cheers:

vicco27........Keep Rollin.

PS Once clean run a bottle of injector cleaner every five or six tankfulls of fuel and you won't have any more problems.Good Luck. and Keep......Rollin. :cheers: again

·
Registered
198 Posts
Fuel Injectors

Fuel systems are made of products that to the best of my knowledge are unafected by any thing thats in the fuel injector cleaner, if conserned burn the two in ten mixture up in one trip then fill up with fresh fuel and drive around a little to purge the system with the fresh fuel. I judge quality by quantity needed to do the job, example 1 bottle to 10 gal should be better than 1 to 20 gal. I use STP or GUNK for regular use I don't remember which brand was 1 in 10 gal but if I remember right it cost about twice as much money. Good Luck and let me know how things work out. :D
:cheers:

vicco27.........Keep Rollin.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Most bottled fuel injector cleaners are no better then the cleaners that major gas station chains have in their better quality gasolines .

I would waste my time / $ with the bottled products .
If you want clean your injectors thoroughly , you need to have a
Moto Vac done to your vehicle .

This procedure hooks a line into your fuel rail and pumps a high concentrated cleaner through the rail , injectors and combustion chambers .
This costs about $75 to $95 (CAN) .

The improvement is very noticeable .

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moto Vac huh? hmm I might have to ask my local shop about this and the fuel injector cleaning service they provide. I thought it would be over $100. more like $200..
thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would just try it, a bottle of fuel injector cleaner doesn't cost that much anyways, for sure cheaper then changing the injector. I used it before but didn't notice a difference but if one of your injectors is dirty it might help.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Who says you need to replace an injector ?
If it's dirty , you clean it .
It would only need to be replaced if it wasn't functioning .

I used it before but didn't notice a difference ...
This why they're not worth bothering with :wink:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I never said you have to replace it but if he thinks there is a problem with the injector I would try a cleaner first before replacing it.
I didn't notice a difference because there were no problems with my injectors.

·
Registered
181 Posts
ccaddy said:
Most bottled fuel injector cleaners are no better then the cleaners that major gas station chains have in their better quality gasolines .

I would waste my time / $ with the bottled products .
If you want clean your injectors thoroughly , you need to have a
Moto Vac done to your vehicle .

This procedure hooks a line into your fuel rail and pumps a high concentrated cleaner through the rail , injectors and combustion chambers .
This costs about $75 to $95 (CAN) .

The improvement is very noticeable .

I've had that done to 2 of my cars, and its done SFA.............the only proper way is to have the injectors removed and cleaned

·
Registered
302 Posts
Only if you don't have access to someone who can do a Moto Vac on your FI system .
With the Moto Vac , nothing needs to be taken off your vehicle .

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just take off the positive terminal on your battery. Leave it like that for about 30 minutes to an hour then plug it back in.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, when I had my stock ECU, I did a ECU reset and fuel injector cleaner and I noticed a big difference in fuel economy.

I'm not sure what octane gas you guys run on over there in the states, but we've got 98 octane here and it helps big time. The difference between 91 and 98 is like... well.... [email protected]#$ and chocolate.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok so I disconnected the battery all together and cleaned terminals. I did notice a small difference but I'm not sure if it is because other the rest, the vortex generator I installed in the Air Intake Hose or because I didn't have a led foot this week.

One thing that has to be considered is that I live in the Canadian Rockies at about 5600 ft about sea level.

This week I'm going to get some fuel injection cleaner and fill up with a higher-octane fuel. I normally run 89 oct. and haven't experienced any knocking or the Rav acting sluggish. In my experience I have not noticed any benefits in using higher-octane fuel. It only put a dent in my pocket book.

Earlier I mentioned the vortex generator. I recommend this to anyone, especially to people who do a lot of highway driving and or are at higher altitudes. It takes 3 mins to install and I paid about 30 bucks for one on eBay. What do you have to lose? I also purchase a K&N air filter to help increase the airflow.

Any other suggestions for fuel savings?

·
Registered
881 Posts
The stuff you buy to put in your gas tank does nothing. If you buy the bottle that hooks up to your fuel rail, or have a shop do it, it will clean your injectors like new. If you change your plugs and you still have a rough idle there's a good chance the injectors could use cleaning.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts