Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what to make of it, but when I accelerate quickly to highway speeds (55-70 mph) I'll get this odor of fuel coming into the RAV. Any thoughts :?:

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
You might have a crack line or a worn grommet or fitting. Have you been jumping in your RAV4? A rock might have cracked a line or even your tank. Or even somewhere along the line where you apply or need more fuel, the rush of fuel might spill some gas. Anyway you look at it, this smells danger :evil: . You should have a fire extinguisher handy. Check anywhere the gas moves from tank to injectors and everything in between. A car burns very fast, believe me dude.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jumping in my RAV? Sounds like a tough thing to do :lol: Nah, mine is always on the road. But it doesn't necessarily smell like fresh fuel, more like an after burned type thing. Like maybe some didn't get burned off. Charcoal canister perhaps?

L

·
0 Posts
hi, i have almost the same problem, except its a strong gas smell after i've turned off the ignition

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I'm wondering if it is a common problem.... I thought I had a fuel leak with the strong smell... but I believe it to be an exhaust leak somewhere... can't pinpoint it though.... i've done a brand new catback exhaust... I would also like to replace the header and such to eliminate the possibilites but only time will tell...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yep, I get this whenever I boot it badly, especially if I am loaded up and going up a hill. It quickly goes though. I'm wondering whether it's unspent fuel going out the back when I floor it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts