Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I got my 2012 RAV4 v6 ltd in April. I cannot find a fuel range estimate display anywhere. Am I missing it or does it not exist? I'm surprised since my '85 BMW had one, as did my '98 528i. Is Toyota not in the 20th century yet?
I'm also surprised that I can't find any EQ controls for the audio, but that's a separate issue. (Hate the boomy muddy bass)
So now I'm looking for a real- time OBD2 iPhone Bluetooth app/system that could show me estimated fuel range (distance to empty) as well as transmission temperature. Is anyone familiar with iOS apps and hardware that ca provide that? I'd like to have that in place before I star towing with this Toy.

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Well Craig the rav4 a range estimator so I would recommend eye balling it (that's how we did it in the old days)...also the stock stereo sucks....welcome to the club LOL...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(that's how we did it in the old days)
Yeah, I did it long enough in the old days. But now its 2015 and I own a Japanese trucklet with airbags and not a 3/4 PU with an acre of headbusting enamel metal dashboard – things progress (sometimes). And gas no longer costs 75c./gal. so I like to manage it a bit closer than in the old days.

If BMW could program a range estimator in 1985, Toyota could figure out how to add that to the trip computer of their premium model crossover 30 years later. The data is all their in the OBD2. Actually, they could probably add it in a ROM flash upgrade.

Does Dash Command run on iOS (iPad/iPhone)?
Will it display tranny temp?

thx,
Craig

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I would hardly call the rav4 premium in any form...it is an entry lever crossover and the word "limited" does not change that...many people have come on here complaining about the lack of features on these that other brands had 30 years ago so it's nothing new...people generally don't research very much before they buy and then complain afterwards...I drive til my gas light comes on and then I get gas or if I'm in a situation that I'm not familiar with I get it at a quarter tank...in the winter I generally keep at least a half tank at all times and I have yet to run out of gas...not even while towing...and if you want a premium Toyota suv I would recommend the sequoia or 4runner...the new Highlander is also nice...

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
Same old, same old ....
Another one buys a RAV4 and expects a luxury ride, super comfy seats, all the electronic features any other car ever had, etc, etc. And then complains here when it doesn't have it all. :doh: I just don't get it unless as I've said before, "Did your mommy make you buy it?"

(I think I'll save this post for future pasting.) :wall

Reactions: DVS

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
LOL...one guy on here complaining about it not having rear hvac controls or not having a separate sound system in the rear...it's all good LOL...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
Yeah, I agree with what everyone here says, after all, if you want a Lexus, BUY a Lexus. What I don't like are all the little niceties you get in a Camry for the same price that are left off of the RAV4.

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
Yeah, I agree with what everyone here says, after all, if you want a Lexus, BUY a Lexus. What I don't like are all the little niceties you get in a Camry for the same price that are left off of the RAV4.
How about the features I've seen on the dash pictures of European RAV4s? I saw at least one with a Code readout on the odometer display. But Toyota doesn't put it on the North American models so that's the way it is. And I bought one anyway.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
How about the features I've seen on the dash pictures of European RAV4s? I saw at least one with a Code readout on the odometer display. But Toyota doesn't put it on the North American models so that's the way it is. And I bought one anyway.
Oh yeah, that display is nice. And they got power folding mirrors, knee airbag, aiming headlights, rain sensing wipers, and lots of other nice features. But they also pay a lot more than we do!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
well at least we have the option of a second set of drive wheels lol...i would take a base rav over a loaded camry any day...although some of the European would be nice lol...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Why is it every forum has some rude smug member? Dr, Dyno, did your mother teach you that way or did you grow into it?

I researched the Rav for many factors and that led me to buy it. I know it is not a Lexus or BMW, both of which are bloated with unnecessary features. When I said "premium" I meant that the limited is as premium as the RAV4 gets. I consider a range estimator function a standard feature I didn't even think to inquire about. Given the utility of the feature and the few lines of code required to implement it AND that lesser/cheaper offerings in the Toy line have the feature, I think I'm within rights to express my dismay that it isn't in this car. This is 2015 and this is a $30,000 car. The data is in the OBD system, why not display it? I'm certainly within rights to criticise usability of the vehicle.

As for the audio, other than a transistor radio (know what those are?) every audio system on the market has an EQ. This car comes with Sirius XM but most of the stations seriously boom the bass and I can't adjust it out. My 1976 Honda Civic wagon had an EQ standard. This is not a premium feature. This is just part of an audio system.

There is a lot that is great about the Rav, but there are design oversights and I was inquiring of the Forum "if I was missing something" - maybe another member could tell me where the features are. I didn't expect, and don't need snarky comments from long time contributors.

Craig

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I consider a range estimator function a standard feature I didn't even think to inquire about.
every audio system on the market has an EQ. [snip] This is not a premium feature. This is just part of an audio system.
I think that's the real issue here: lack of thorough research before purchase, in order to know exactly what you're getting before signing on the dotted line. It's happened to a lot of owners on R4W, apparently especially in the 4.4 area, where there have been quite a number of complaints about features or performance (in particular ride comfort, but also screen glare, lack of sunglasses holder, lack of storage cubbies, etc.).

In my opinion, if you're old enough to drive, you're old enough to know what happens when you assume things.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think that long time forum members get annoyed with people who don't make an effort to know things and/or complain about said things...very often people go onto boards and complain about something that they should have known about or looked into before making a purchase...personally I think the mileage estimator is stupid...it contributes to the downfall of society LOL...

As far as the radio goes...it does have bass and treble control but it's still a crappy system...was the first thing I upgraded...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perhaps long time members should get over being annoyed and have a drink in their Barcalounger.
As far as you guys pushing the personal responsibility line, yeah, I take responsibility for buying the Rav. But here's how it went down. I was shopping the used Toyota lot and they had the 2012 V6 Ltd. It had a lot of features I was looking for, foremost was that it fit me, I'm tall and long in the waist. Most cars, in fact, most SUVs don't fit me, including the X5. I bump my head and I'm looking out through the blue part of the windshield. The car had low mileage, lots of storage room, high POV going down the road. It was not built on a truck chassis. It looked nice, had on board nav (which, pardon my assumptions, made me think it would have modern computer functions).
I thought that the relative scarcity of this combo of features meant a good chance it might get bought by someone else. Worried that I'd have a much harder time finding another one made me decide to get the Rav that day. I did NOT research this down into what menu options there are in the audio or the on board computer, so Mea Culpa. I did not have the luxury of that. I bought the car, but I don't have to love everything about it. If I'd had the money to get the perfect vehicle for my needs it would be a $140,000 4x4 Sportmobile turbo diesel with solar charger, refrigerator and outdoor shower. (Ford 4x4 Sportsmobile, Pace Arrow RV in Off-Road Camper War (W/Video))

See, cars have computers now and they can be useful for things that were difficult in the past – like if you are towing, it's nice to know your tranny temp instead of just getting out and smelling it, or seeing if it is glowing yet, like in the old days.

Here's where I find the fuel range estimator useful. For instance, I'm out on a photo shoot on the Eastern side of the Sierra Nevada in Lee Vining, a gateway to Yosemite. I've been out on forest roads shooting and now I'm back to the highway. At the intersection of Hwy 120 and Hwy 395 there is one big gas station but gas is expensive there because of its premium location. It is about 30 miles to Mammoth Lakes where gas is cheaper. My gas gauge is analog, it does not display how many gallons remain in the tank. It is very useful to me to know if I have a good margin to hit Mammoth or if I should stop and get pricey fuel in Lee Vining.
You guys go ahead and use your own methods. Me? I bought a OBD2 Wireless sensor that I'll pair with my iPad/iPhone to have a better idea what is going on with my Rav.

Cheers,
Craig

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
....I thought that the relative scarcity of this combo of features meant a good chance it might get bought by someone else. Worried that I'd have a much harder time finding another one made me decide to get the Rav that day....
Craig
All makes sense to me. And I have to agree with your decision. When I found the RAV4 I wanted I flew to Florida and drove it back to CT. You got 90% of the most critical features you needed, and while the others may be annoying, they are in the woulda-been-nice category and can fixed or worked around.

So, welcome and happy RAV4ing. You will find a lot of helpful folk here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts