Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my 2007 Rav4 limited last week. I love it so far except that Yesterday I believe my Fuel sending unit went out. My tank was on E and the gauge was working properly, but after putting only 10 gallons in the tank the meter went to full and has not moved in 50 miles (except when i turn the car off it does go back down) If it is the Fuel sending Unit I have to replace the whole fuel pump right? Is there an access panel, or do I have to drop the whole fuel tank? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,510 Posts
Did the gasoline pump shut off at 10 gallons or did you stop at 10 gallons? When my '08 needed a new fuel pump the tank had to come out as I recall.

How do you know it's the sending unit? The gauge could be at fault or a relay under the hood.....if there are any.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pump shut off around 5 gallons and I kind of forced the next 5 out.. Probably not the best move in hind sight. I'm just assuming it's the sending unit. I don't think it's the gauge because it still moves to the bottom when the car is off. I don't know about relays though. Thanks for the information on the fuel tank.. I was really hoping there would be an access panel :sweat_smile:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
There is a thread on here somewhere about another member replacing either the pump or filter in the tank...hit up the search and look for in tank filter replacement...should not be too hard to find...I'm pretty sure he dropped the tank but found out afterwards that an access panel did exist...

·
Registered
311 Posts
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...-2006-2az-fe-2-4l-4-cylinder.html#post1924409

That was my thread. There wasn't an access panel under the rear seat for the fuel pump assembly. Look at the pics in the thread and you can see the sending unit on the middle of the gas tank, forward of the fuel pump assembly. There might be one for the sending unit, but i didn't look for it because i didn't need to mess with it. If there was one, it would be under the drivers side rear passenger foot well carpet. Dropping the tank is not that hard, it Just sucks working on your back in the driveway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone confirmed if you need to drop the tank to change the fuel sending unit? I have a 2010 and the gas gauge is giving strange readings. It doesn't drop lower that 1/4 tank and does not really track the fuel level.
I'd also like to get any manuals that are available.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Has anyone confirmed if you need to drop the tank to change the fuel sending unit? I have a 2010 and the gas gauge is giving strange readings. It doesn't drop lower that 1/4 tank and does not really track the fuel level.
I'd also like to get any manuals that are available.
Yes you need to drop the gas tank. It is unlike the Gen2 or Gen1 models that were accessible inside the car. Your best bet is check Youtube and there is now I think maybe 2 showing the gas tank dropped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts