Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Dealer recommended this service and said now I would not want to put the additive in because it’s all built up and gooky and if I used that stuff now that bits would break off and clog the injectors. Says it needs this clean first then can start using this addictive.

Do you have experience with this?

Thank you
Pam

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
That is one of the dealer up sell tricks. Don't waste your hard earn money on this unnecessary item.
Dealers are always finding a way to make extra money on unnecessary repairs and maintenance.
Don't fall for it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Hello all,
Dealer recommended this service and said now I would not want to put the additive in because it’s all built up and gooky and if I used that stuff now that bits would break off and clog the injectors. Says it needs this clean first then can start using this addictive.

Do you have experience with this?

Thank you
Pam
Typical line of baloney! Does the car run ok? If so, leave it.
By the way, what year, engine and miles do you have on your car?

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
Nonsense! The only thing the dealer wants to clean is the money out of your wallet!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Typical line of baloney! Does the car run ok? If so, leave it.
By the way, what year, engine and miles do you have on your car?

I am sad that Toyota hires these guys for this purpose. Jerks.

My car has 35K miles, and is a 2017. I got it new in 08/17. I'm not sure what engine it has but it's the LE if that tells you anything. Also, he said the brake system needs to be flushed and that the oil only needs to be changed every 10K miles since they are putting synthetic in it. That sure doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
You really need to look at your owners manual for Toyota recommended services. That should tell you everything you need to know. Generally stay away from dealer recommended services.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I am sad that Toyota hires these guys for this purpose. Jerks.

My car has 35K miles, and is a 2017. I got it new in 08/17. I'm not sure what engine it has but it's the LE if that tells you anything. Also, he said the brake system needs to be flushed and that the oil only needs to be changed every 10K miles since they are putting synthetic in it. That sure doesn't seem right.
Pam, the brake fluid on your car can be check easily with a brake fluid tester for around $3. If it is time to change the brake fluid a easy way to remove most of the brake fluid easily is use an automotive syringe to take out the fluid in the brake fluid reservoir. You don't need to flush it the hard way through the brake bleeder valve.

As for the oil yes the synthetic oil can last 10k miles. Synthetic oil formula today can provide longer oil interval then they did many years ago. Remember the 3000 or 5000 miles oil changes long time ago?

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
Brake fluid should be changed periodically even thought it is not listed by Toyota as a maintenance item as it is hygroscopic and absorbs water which can reduce braking ability and corrode brake parts. As DL175 noted one can buy an inexpensive brake fluid tester which will let you know when the fluid needs flushing and changing.

The dealer's input about the fuel injectors is, as other posters have suggested, merely a way for the dealer to empty your wallet and bank account with no benefit for your RAV4.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gen 4 is port injected. No need to decarbonize it, especially that early. Direct Injection motors have issues with carbon build up. Port injection sprays into the intake before the valve and the fuel keeps the seating area of the intake valve clean. Direct injection sprays into the cylinder after the valve and the back of the intake valve never gets clean. Ford had some issues with some of the first gen Ecoboost engines, there were complaints of ruff idle starting at around 30k. I read in a forum that PVC placement also contributed to the buildup on some of the Ecoboost's intake valves. The new RAV has both port and direction, port injection for low engine loads and the combination of both for higher engine loads. The Ecoboost 3.5L has port and direct injection.

As for brake fluid, get it replaced at 5 years if you are keeping the Rav many more years. If you plan on selling it within a year or two after 5 years, don't bother.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gen 4 is port injected. No need to decarbonize it, especially that early. Direct Injection motors have issues with carbon build up. Port injection sprays into the intake before the valve and the fuel keeps the seating area of the intake valve clean. Direct injection sprays into the cylinder after the valve and the back of the intake valve never gets clean. Ford had some issues with some of the first gen Ecoboost engines, there were complaints of ruff idle starting at around 30k. I read in a forum that PVC placement also contributed to the buildup on some of the Ecoboost's intake valves. The new RAV has both port and direction, port injection for low engine loads and the combination of both for higher engine loads. The Ecoboost 3.5L has port and direct injection.

As for brake fluid, get it replaced at 5 years if you are keeping the Rav many more years. If you plan on selling it within a year or two after 5 years, don't bother.
Best advice here, gedster314! For port injection, buy quality gas and don't worry about it. And brake fluid life has more to do with time than mileage. 5 years sounds like about what I do as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
essbaum
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing