Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given a fully warmed up car sitting at a flat highway what would be the average MPG using the cruise control at 55 and 65? (Trip/avg meter is reset once up to speed).

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I test drove a 2016 Hybrid;
41 US MPG door-to-door on the test drive in mixed heavy stop-and-go and highway
39 US MPG sitting at 56Mph (90km/h) on the cruise control (reset som trip computer at speed and drove for 10 miles)

Total drive was 21 miles and I believe the car had some decent temperature already from previous test drives.

Are those good figures? Frankly I was expecting a bit better on the highway at 56Mph

·
Registered
64 Posts
Figure about 36-37 mpg (my experience at those speeds over long distances, varying terrain) x 14.8 gal (US) = 532 to 547 miles to empty.

Perfect conditions that you describe, my experience is about 40+ mpg, so 592 give or take.

Your mileage may vary. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Figure about 36-37 mpg (my experience at those speeds over long distances, varying terrain) x 14.8 gal (US) = 532 to 547 miles to empty.

Perfect conditions that you describe, my experience is about 40+ mpg, so 592 give or take.

Your mileage may vary. :)
I was quite happy that I could get 41 MPG "combined" given it was the first time I was in a hybrid vehicle and all.

Can't wait to get mine, I'am gonna warm the engine with an electrical heater before every ride also.

This will be my first vehicle with ACC also (fantastic system btw), generally speaking is it fuel efficient to use ACC or should I revert to normal CC or just manual throttle control?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'am gonna warm the engine with an electrical heater before every ride also.

This will be my first vehicle with ACC also (fantastic system btw), generally speaking is it fuel efficient to use ACC or should I revert to normal CC or just manual throttle control?
Love the radar cruise control feature. Not sure if that or regular cruise control is better for mpg, but cruise control in general seems to give better mpg overall. I suppose the radar cruise control might be a little better because you aren't disengaging/re-ingaging so much so it's a little smoother

The only exception I've noticed is on hilly terrain, where cruise control might pour on the gas a little more to maintain speed going up hills when I might give up a little speed to keep lower RPMs if operating manually. People behind you don't like that, though.

As for electrical heating before every ride, you would have to do the energy cost/benefit math. For short trips it might be cost effective. For longer trips, I'm guessing the benefit would be negligible to none.

(This is all anecdotal. I am not an engineer.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts