Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend with a 2020 RAV4 hybrid recently received a letter from Toyota about a service campaign to fix the fill up issue by replacing the fuel tank.
I have a 2019 RAV4 hybrid with the same problem. Called toyota today and they claim my vehicle is not part of this campaign. I explained that I have exactly the problem they describe in the letter, but all I got was a vague promise to get back to me.
Anyone else with a 2019 Hybrid with this problem and have you heard anything from Toyota?
THanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
A friend with a 2020 RAV4 hybrid recently received a letter from Toyota about a service campaign to fix the fill up issue by replacing the fuel tank.
I have a 2019 RAV4 hybrid with the same problem. Called toyota today and they claim my vehicle is not part of this campaign. I explained that I have exactly the problem they describe in the letter, but all I got was a vague promise to get back to me.
Anyone else with a 2019 Hybrid with this problem and have you heard anything from Toyota?
THanks
Is it replacing the fuel tank? I thought the fix was something else.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They replaced her tank on her 2020 RAV4. The letter says " ... primarily related to a variation of fuel tank shape and the potential for the fuel sender gauge to become inclined."

·
Registered
66 Posts
They replaced her tank on her 2020 RAV4. The letter says " ... primarily related to a variation of fuel tank shape and the potential for the fuel sender gauge to become inclined."
Thanks for the info. I have an appointment for my 2020 next month. They haven't told me to bring the car in with an empty tank so I'm surprised.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,551 Posts
Please refer to the following Link. It takes you through the whole story.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I have an appointment for my 2020 next month. They haven't told me to bring the car in with an empty tank so I'm surprised.
The letter says to fill the tank until the pump clicks off, then bring it in. They try to put more gas in to confirm the problem.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,668 Posts
Absolutely the 2019s were subject to a CSP 20TE04 (Customer Satisfaction Program) which involves testing for the issue and replacing the fuel tank, fuel level sensor and re-calibration. T-SB-0108-20

This in not a recall. But go in with the info in the previous line and insist on a test.

I can't believe any service advisor doesn't know about this issue that has been well know for almost 2 years and which was acknowledged by Toyota in June of last year.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
637 Posts
How do you determine if you have a problem?

I just filled up my 2020 XLEh.
It was almost out. Not quite empty but very close.
The estimated distance to empty was 50 miles. The pump said I out in 10.89 gallons in. The EDE now says 505 miles. Do I have the tank issue?

·
Registered
294 Posts

The estimated distance to empty was 50 miles. The pump said I out in 10.89 gallons in. The EDE now says 505 miles. Do I have the tank issue?
Nope!

·
Registered
938 Posts
THanks
Yeah, dealerships get this wrong all the time. Sometimes they only look for recalls (but this isn't a recall). Or they completely misread the VIN list (thinking only some Japanese-made cars are affected, which isn't true). Or they're too lazy and just want to brush off their customers. You'd think they'd be more aware of the #1 issue affecting their #1 hybrid of their #1 selling car ...

Yes, and also the fuel sending gauge (but some cars might only need one of the two, not both).

The letter says to fill the tank until the pump clicks off, then bring it in. They try to put more gas in to confirm the problem.
Not quite. They remove fuel from a full tank to see if the low fuel light comes on. They might try to add more fuel if the car thinks it isn't full ... which is a horrible test that might mask the problem. IMO, bring in the tank less than full: if they want it full, let them fill it. Toyota will reimburse the cost anyway. Some dealerships aren't even bothering to validate the problem, and having less fuel makes it easier to swap the tank without making a mess.

No, I don't think you do.

The most clear-cut test is to refuel when the low fuel light comes on (about 30 miles remaining). Toyota says you should fill at least 9.8 gallons at this point, the owner's manual says it should be up to 12.3. Which is a huge range (2.5 gallons), and I think Toyota's number is complete B.S. My personal benchmark for a correctly working vehicle is 11.5 gallons.

You filled about 20 miles before the low fuel light, or about a half gallon. Adjusting for that, you're pretty close to 11.5 and makes me think that you don't have any problem.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Cool, but after filing I only get dye of 505miles shouldn't it be like 550 or 540?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Cool, but after filing I only get dye of 505miles shouldn't it be like 550 or 540?
Not unless you're getting (550-50)/10.89 = 45.9 MPG. I suppose that's possible, but it's highly unlikely. (505-50)/10.89 = 41.78 MPG, which is much more realistic (though still optimistic since its winter and the nationwide average is more like 37, so a DTE of 37*10.89+50 = 453 would be in the range of normal).

Remember that there's a reserve of fuel (maybe 1.5 gallons and significantly more in cars with the problem) that doesn't count toward the range estimate. "E" doesn't mean "Empty" to Toyota.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Is yours always like this? Mine sometimes fills to where the gauge shows over F and the DTE shows about 12 gallons usable, sometimes it clicks off and only shows about 9 gallons worth DTE. It's like the float gets stuck or something.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not unless you're getting (550-50)/10.89 = 45.9 MPG. I suppose that's possible, but it's highly unlikely. (505-50)/10.89 = 41.78 MPG, which is much more realistic (though still optimistic since its winter and the nationwide average is more like 37, so a DTE of 37*10.89+50 = 453 would be in the range of normal).

Remember that there's a reserve of fuel (maybe 1.5 gallons and significantly more in cars with the problem) that doesn't count toward the range estimate. "E" doesn't mean "Empty" to Toyota.
I don't think "E" means empty in any vehicle. When my kids were teens they brought our vehicles home many times with gas gauges reading far below E. They never ran out of gas or at least never admitted to it. Did the same thing when I was a teen. Lots of range below E.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I know that E is not totally empty.
I know there is a reserve.
I just go with the numbers I have seen on this board so was wondering.

At this moment my average is about 31mpg. For almost 5 month I was sitting home and only did local short trips so average mpg was like 27 because it was cold and you need to warm up the car etc...

No I am back in the office for the next 2 weeks and my drive is 80 miles per day on highways.
The mpg slowly going up and is upto 31mpg now. For the last few days had a strange experience, my eDTE compared to actuall miles driven was in ratio 1:2. That is 2 actual miles driven for every 1 mile removed from DTE number.
I drove 40 miles to home and only lost 20 from DTE. Today morning ride were more close to 1:1.2 ratio.

Interesting.

·
Registered
727 Posts
DTE, Distance To Empty, is the calculated (based a current and previous MPG amounts) distance until the gauge reads "E"-for empty, nothing more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts