Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Toyota Rav 4's, both are 2001 2ltr petrol, one is a short wheel base the other is a long wheel base. The short wheel base has just run out of MOT. and requires some work to get it thru an MOT. the other is running fine but have recently burst the fuel tank on it. My question is, does anyone know if the fuel tanks are interchangeable with one another or do I have to go and purchase a second hand one elsewhere ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can see perforation and constant stream of petrol coming from hole. Tank is holed..... Anybody got any experiences with any of the so called stop leak fillers ? i.e. "Granvilles : Petro Patch Putty" or "J-B Weld" ??? If they work are they "man enough"long term fixes ???

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
35 Posts
JB WELD is good stuff. I once broke a bolt on the thermostat housing of an old Honda and I JBWeld'd that sucker right up. I drove it about 6 months after that without issue...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I hit something and holed a tank. Get the tank empty as possible, jack up the car so as to raise the hole higher so any remaining petrol is lower, clean any paint, rust etc off. I used chemical metal, left it to cure as per the instructions and all was good.

Mine had a big dent where the hole was made, so it was easier to apply the chemical metal.

Worth a try before replacing the tank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How large is the hole? A simple fix for pinholes is a truss head sheet metal screw, a neoprene washer, and a bit of petrol-resistant sealant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts