Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Free Toyotacare expired and I decided I didn’t want to pay Toyota $80 for oil changes. Picked up 0w-16 and Fram XG for $30 to perform first oil change on my own. Was never a fan of Fram. I previously used Purolator oil filters but BITOG forum apparently now swears by this new Fram XG construction. So I gave it a shot.

Also installed Fumoto F133S while I was at it. Had Fumoto drain valves in my last 3 cars and didn’t have any issues. Future OC’s will be extra easy and clean. It’s nice that RAV4’s have added peace of mind with the plastic undercarriage cover over the oil pan.

Install was easy, although the valve was close to scraping the edges of the recessed oil pan. It cleared by mm’s without touching anything. Torque to 15lbs and you’re good to go!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool !

Did you use jack stands or some say you can crawl underneath ?
I didn’t have enough clearance since I was laying on a creeper (hot day, hot pavement). Ended up putting the car on stands to make the job easier. But it’s possible if your back is on the ground.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
501 Posts
I didn’t have enough clearance since I was laying on a creeper (hot day, hot pavement). Ended up putting the car on stands to make the job easier. But it’s possible if your back is on the ground.
Depending on how big your chest, rib cage and shoulders are. I couldn't fit without ramps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice, but where did you disposed the old oil ? I want to do my own oil changes and Ineed to know where to safely dispose the used oil

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 LE
266 Posts
Nice, but where did you disposed the old oil ? I want to do my own oil changes and Ineed to know where to safely dispose the used oil
Usually where you buy it from. Parts stores such as oreillys and autozone will have disposals as well. If all that fails, the city will also have a disposal usually.

Reactions: Colonel
1 - 8 of 8 Posts