Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,391 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,391 Posts
Great minds think alike!! I haven't used either, but I feel the same about the Fumoto. From all reports, the Fram is real slow to drain due to the small port, but draining hot oil, which would flow better, wouldn't be too bad if you don't have to get any on ya. Doing the filter housing would require gloves, tho...dunno for sure, haven't done mine yet.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think devices like the Fumoto and the SureDrain are a good idea in theory, but for some reason I can't get over the idea of having an oil drain plug that has the possibility of opening. Sure a standard drain plug can come loose, but that is very rare if you torque it down well. Also, if a rock hits the drain valve, your are SOL, but if it hits a standard drain plug, it might just scrape it but will probably not break it.

In addition, I don't really buy the idea of being able to change the oil when it is still hot. Everyone knows that you are supposed to wait until the oil has taken time to cool down. This is not just because of the temperature, but because it takes time for the oil to settle back into the pan so you can get all of it out.

·
Premium Member
7,391 Posts
Motor oil should be changed when the engine is warm, not cold, do an internet search for "changing engine oil", you'll see that is the recommendation. I've been changing oil on my cars for the last 40 some years, warm oil drains much better and you'll remove more of the old oil and any contaminents in the bottom of the oil pan. I usually let the engine set for 15-20 minutes after running at operating temperature before draining it. All oil will be in the pan and it's not scalding hot, but will drain very well. The V6 oil filter should be a cinch since it has a drain to use before removing the filter housing. :wink:

·
Registered
656 Posts
If your going to be running the Baja then maybe don't get one but for average drivers the likely hood of it breaking off is about as likely as your fuel tank getting punctured and catching on fire. Not saying it couldn't happen but the way it's built it's very unlikely.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Quickdtoo said:
Motor oil should be changed when the engine is warm, not cold, do an internet search for "changing engine oil", you'll see that is the recommendation. I've been changing oil on my cars for the last 40 some years, warm oil drains much better and you'll remove more of the old oil and any contaminents in the bottom of the oil pan. I usually let the engine set for 15-20 minutes after running at operating temperature before draining it. All oil will be in the pan and it's not scalding hot, but will drain very well. The V6 oil filter should be a cinch since it has a drain to use before removing the filter housing. :wink:
I guess I meant to say that you should change the oil when it's warm, not hot or cold, which is usually after the vehicle has been driven and allowed to sit for 20 minutes or so. One of the selling points of a drain valve is that it lets you change the oil when it's still hot without having to wait, and I think that is not the best idea, not even taking temperature into consideration. After you drive the vehicle, you should let it sit for 20-30 minutes so the oil can settle back into the pan, and it's still plenty warm enough to drain properly.

I am biased against drain valves because I put a nice big dent in my Rav's oil pan during an off-roading adventure a few years back. I figure that if I can get a dent like that in the oil pan during some mild off-roading, a drain valve wouldn't stand a chance against a rock, so I guess I'm weary about getting one. Sure if you're an average driver you will probably never get into a situation where you might bust up the oil pan, but I think it should still be taken into consideration for those of us that are not average drivers.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
exactly quick. Thats the point I was trying to make.. It can never mistakinly open or get broken off

Quickdtoo said:
The Suredrain doesn't protrude much more than most stock oil pan plugs and there's a cap on it to keep it from leaking, just in case. The drain tube must be attached to open the internal valve.

Here's a mini-review by a user...

http://www.miata.net/products/pmisc/fram_sure_drain.html

·
Premium Member
7,391 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts