Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of you have seen this video on the news the past few days, but it gets more funny every time I see it.

http://kare11.com/player.aspx?aid=10952&sid=&bw=hi

It took place in Denver, Colorado last week; apparently some street going down a hill was covered in ice and snow, and people were trying to stop their cars. Needless to say, a camera was there, people's cars went sliding into each other, and hilarity ensued. I love it when the chick gets out of her black Honda Civic, what the hell was she thinking? I would rather be belted into my car and hit by an airbag at low speed than run over by a car (having been hit by an airbag in the past).

What do the state police say all the time? The safest place to be at an accident scene is in your car.

It just highlights my belief that people get too confident when driving in the snow, especially when they drive SUVs. People are all nervous at first, then they get too confident because their car is driving along fine in the snow, and then they speed up because they think they have unlimited traction, which results in an accident. That's why most of the car accidents in bad weather occur. Snow itself sure doesn't force a car of the road into the ditch, it's the driver that does.

If my Rav happened to be sliding down that hill, I would pump the brakes then slam it into reverse and floor it. Eventually the spinning tires would heat up and melt through the ice, and hopefully I could stop. That's all well and good until I see the idiots closing in behind me. If the coast was clear, instead of stopping like those people did I would keep going until I hit level ground, and try to pull off the road out of the path of out of control cars.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Yeah... I saw it :? :D cracked me up then... and now :D Just glad that one lady got the hell out of the way in time :shock:

My personal experience with snow/ice is if you start sliding the WORST thing to do is lock up the brakes. It's best to keep your foot OFF the brake and gently steer out of the slide. I know... I know.... easier said than done :roll:

O

·
0 Posts
LOL Nice one! :lol:

I think that in every occasion there the wheels were locked up, and so had no chance of controling their direction...They just followed the gutter, perhaps this is a belief that their ABS will save them.
If they had backed off the brakes a tad they would have had some influence as to where their cars went.

Not sure that trying to melt through the ice would work, if you were sliding then you would have to melt a lot of ice to get to tarmac, best that would happen is that the top layer of ice would melt and the water between tyre and ice would act as a superb lubricant, and make things worse :shock:

E

·
0 Posts
Yup... happens too in Vancouver when it snows. :? After our first major snowfall on the 6th, traffic was mere mayhem in Vancouver on the 7th.

I drive about 25 km (16 mi) to work one-way. I was pretty much driving at a snail's pace one way on the 7th. A normally-25 minute drive took almost 45 minutes because of all of the paranoids who were driving 50 km/h (30 mph) in a 90 km/h (55 mph) zone! :x

We don't get much snow in Vancouver... but when it snows, the streets are a disaster! :(

J

·
0 Posts
just snowed today in South Jersey

It was chaos 3 accidents on my way to my gf's. Usually it was a car running into an Suv. However the Suvs are fine. It's just the cars that received all the damage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts