Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to remove the fuse box under the hood, on the right side of engine bay. 2003 Rav4 2.0
I am in the middle of replacing the transmission mount and there is a bolt under the wiring harness but I can't get the wiring plate to come out to get to it. I need to take the fuse box off the transmission mounting bracket. The bolt is at the bottom of the fuse box, stupid place to put it!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi trailscout, wish I had seen this earlier. I remember that bolt when I went to the junk yard a few weeks ago. Did you figure something out? If I remember correctly you have to take the top fuse " holder" section out and then there are some more pieces that connect somehow and it was a disaster trying to disassemble it, but I did it on a junker in the scrap yard. Are you close to somewhere you could practice? Or what did you finally do?
Thanks
KW

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks like what I saw on mine and in the junk yard. I think it’s supposed to be two parts. They didn’t make these cars for the homeowner to work on. Is it possible to just cut that bottom bolt off with a sawzall? How secure does that box need to be attached? Am I mistaken that there are two other bolts holding it in?
Are you replacing the mount do to rust in Arizona?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is one bolt on the top left under the plate that needs to be removed, that bolts into the transmission mount and their may be one in the lower right. I can't see how to get it off. Like you said it is two pieces in the photo. a top and bottom. Just does not release in any way. Tried prying it, pushing while pulling up, nothing. Once I get it off it will be easy to remove. There

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did trailscout or anyone else figure out how to separate the fusebox? I'm now looking at exactly that photo that trailscout posted and I've been pushing where it says push but can't separate it. Want to get at the main alt fuse

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never did figure it out. Looked at it last week again and could not figure it out. No info on the internet on it. odd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did trailscout or anyone else figure out how to separate the fusebox? I'm now looking at exactly that photo that trailscout posted and I've been pushing where it says push but can't separate it. Want to get at the main alt fuse
I just spent an hour fiddling around with a 2002 RAV4 fuse box. The top part with the relays and fuses comes out if you loosen the nut in the middle of it and pry the unit holding the relays and fuses out. I didn't get any further than than that. There is a piece of plastic with PUSH labelled on it that is located over a push in electrical connector that you might think is holding up the show. I judged I could destroy all the black plastic that was over that white connector until it was completely clear without compromising my ability to put things back together and be confident everything would still work. I did this and I was able to pull the PUSH labelled plastic covered connector out. The fact that connector was no longer holding up the show had no effect. It wasn't holding up the show. I couldn't get further down into the fuse/relay box to reveal the bolt head that must be down there, so I could remove the bolt so I could remove fuse/relay box, and so I could then remove the engine mount. So I used a sawzall and cut the existing mount close to the plastic fuse box, and removed the mount. I cut the new mount leaving a bit more metal, i.e. I cut close to the hole where the fuse/relay box bolt attaches to the mount, then installed the new mount. This left clearance for the bolt and the bit of metal from the old mount, but still allowed the new mount bracket to support the box. It looks very serviceable, but really kludgey.

I've never seen something this stupid on a Toyota. (Says the mechanic who didn't discover the trick any competent Toyota mechanic would have used to get the box out in 30 seconds....) At least I got my job done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
still searching

I never did figure it out. I will try again this winter after we are done with the heat in AZ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone know how to remove the fuse box under the hood, on the right side of engine bay. 2003 Rav4 2.0
I am in the middle of replacing the transmission mount and there is a bolt under the wiring harness but I can't get the wiring plate to come out to get to it. I need to take the fuse box off the transmission mounting bracket. The bolt is at the bottom of the fuse box, stupid place to put it!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
For all those trying to separate the under hood fuse box there is a area that says PUSH, but nothing happens. I took two people's posts here and came up with a solution. You will need to picks, preferably a right angle and a hook shaped one. You will pry out the sides of the plastic under where the word "PUSH" is and bend outward and warp it so it doesn't click back into place, then while that is done, take the hook shaped pick and pull upward as you grab the harness facing the firewall and push that upwards as well and it will give way. Then there is a 10mm bolt under that piece once removed the fuse block is yours. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to add to the process, once you’ve pried away the tabs you will need a small screw driver to put in the slot near the center of the fuse block where the 10mm bolt secures the panels down, wiggle while pulling up on the push part and tug upwards on the rear most harness near firewall and it should pop out, hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The internet wins again. Just finished the transmission mount replacement and yes, the fuse box removal had me stumped. The middle tab. After seeing the photos, yep, like 5 seconds and out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts