Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Rav4 LTD

This happened Wednesday past. Driving home at night I found that I had no rear lights on not even the license plate light. Also no fog lights. After fumbling around in the dark and slush I found a 10AMP fuse was blown. I retrieved the spare and plugged it in. That too blew right away.

Had car towed to dealer to get them to check it out. Got a call in the morning saying that if the issue is related to the trailer wiring I'd be dinged for investigating charges. So I retrieved the Rav to troubleshoot.

So far all I've done was removed the 15AMP inline fuse in the +POS line from the battery to the trailer module in the rear. Fuse still blows.

This trailer module was only installed about a year ago and I've yet to use it.

Anywhere else should I look to see if this is trailer wiring related? I'm going out soon to look in the rear area.

With these trailer modules are there any wires that need cutting or is it all plug and play? I had this installed by a trailer supply dealer.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
Take it back to the trailer supply dealer who installed it and explain the problem.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
the trailer wiring ties into the marker lights, brake lights and turn signals...so most likely is that one of those wires has rubbed bare and is shorting out...would not be hard to find...just start at the end of the wire harness (where it plugs into trailer) and follow the wires...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dismantled the rear and found the wires in great condition and no rubbing that I could see. But I did find the use of bloody duct tape. Other than Red Green duct tape use should be banned.

I'll leave it all dismantled so the trailer guys can take a look. Is it possible the module is acting up?

As you can see here the piece they used completely let go as did most other pieces.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Pretty sloppy wiring job. I would remove that trailer harness completely and start over. Once its totally disconnected at each of the access points, then you can see if the fuse still blows. I'm betting it won't.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really don't want to touch it any further until I let the trailer guys look at it. They might accuse me of dicking it up.

Again I'm not 100% sure the trailer harness is causing the fuse issue but it's the only mode I've done to the Rav other than interior LEDs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trailer harness is electrically unhooked from the car and it still pops the fuse.

Someone asked if I had interior LED bulbs installed(which I do). They said those sometimes could blow a fuse yet still function. I can't see that but at this point removing some bulbs to test shouldn't be hard. I'll start with the licence plate LEDs as that's on the same fuse thats popping.

It's going to dealer on Monday morning.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't need to take it to dealer as I've troubleshot it myself and found the issue.

It was one of the two license plate LEDs I replaced. Unplugged both bulbs and replaced the fuse. All worked. Plugged on one LED and still worked. Plugged in the other and POP! Now to go buy a fuse and bulb and stop playing with cheapazz LEDs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts