Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to change my battery. I mistakenly hit the wrong terminal and sparked the cable. I burnt out the middle fuse in the fuse holder attached to the Positive terminal. It is marked on that cap as ALT. 100 amp, it is the blue fuse. I cannot figure out how to get it out. On the side of the fuse box there is a metal plate with a screw that looks like ti goes through the fuse and holds it in place. I am hesitant to remove this as I don't know much about it.

Can someone inform he how to change this fuse ?

Thanks

TK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
The fuses are bolted in the bottom of the fuse box. You have to take the fusebox out first to unbolt the fuse from the bottom.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, can you be more specific as to how I remover the fuse box ? Should I unhook the battery cable (positive one), then does the three fuse box come out of the black box ?

Iam not familar with this stuff so I appreciate you help.

TK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Unhooking the battery cable sounds like a good plan. The fuse box itself it bolted down on the chassis with 2 or 3 bolts, you will see them right away. Unbolt those then there are clps on the side of the fuse box, open those and you can look on the inside of the fuse box and see how the fuses are bolted down(you might need to pull a little on the wires to get some extra space after opening the clips)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
Remember that you always disconnect the negative cable FIRST and reinstall it LAST when playing with the battery. And you should wear goggles and rubber gloves.

If you just unhook the positive cable while leaving the negative attached, if anything hits the positive terminal and the body then you will have a big spark, potentially a fire and you could get hurt.

The battery produces hydrogen gas which is both flammable and explosive. Do not create a spark, smoke or light a match around the battery. Always charge the battery in a ventilated area.

Electrolyte contains poisoness and corrosive sulphuric acid. Do not allow it to get into your eyes or on your skin and clothes. Do not drink it. Keep children (and other Rav4world.com members) away from the battery.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top