Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, lately I've been sitting back and running the RAV4orce around town to see what it can do. I'm pretty happy with the results. Know, I have to refine some small loose ends. Like reinstall the rear anti-sway bar. Oh yea, it needs it. Know that I have the correct rear shocks, I HAVE to install it.

The Next Level Performance module is working great. But I scence that I need more control over the Air/Fuel ratio. With more control I know I'll have more power.

Air, I need air. I have to find a wey to get more air into the combusion chamber. As you can see i've even open an inlet under the front drive headlight. it helps, but what I need is a direct shoot of cold air into the throttle body. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi Mensa,
Youre absolutly spot on with your remarks about getting cold air in to the engine bay. As you know from previous forums (K/N cai) there is areal problem in where to postion the air intake in the engine bay. Radiator and fan seem to be the problem they simply cover the front of the engine bay. I cannot see any way of dealing with this problem. It was interesting to note the comments on theK/N57i official guide as where to place the intake ( down in the plastic cover of the sump guard). It will be very interesting how this thread developes I wait with a great of interest.
Clare

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm telling ya dude try putting the air duct in the splash shield like mine. It'll do wonders for ya. :wink:

BTW.. Great story in the general! :lol: Hope to get some of my own if I can ever get the ricers to race.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I think the WRX scoop, is a possible choice... I have one sitting around that I may look into using... :shock: will have to see though... depends what you're doing though, if you want a scoop or a vent... there is a bit of a difference, as one lets in air and the other sorta lets the hot air escape out... :wink:

K

·
0 Posts
back here in the p.i. we have what we call the "RAM" air we remove the headlights and replace it with an air scoop on its location same dimensions as the headlight its just a big hole that goes directly to the filter tube... kicks ass but i don't think that would be legal there we just put stockings or a filter of some sort between the filter tube and the ram air headlight duct... this will defintely get the cold air in... hehehe :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
For an area of lower pressure like you'll have on the top of the hood, the NACA duct is the way to go.

For your car you want to put a bump in the intake path with a drain to let the rain out without going through the motor. Or not. it probably won't matter, and besides it is a great way to remove carbon build up.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, here is an update.

I already installed the ear anti-sway bar [aaagain]. It needs a little adjustment and longer end links. Also I think I have to change the Shock Absorber Bushing. That is http://www.suspension.com . For bushing and all those small suspension part, suspension.com is the place. Great prices too. OK, that said, I'm going to start working on a new intake. Once the K&N Apollo filter comes in [around the 20th of January] I take a weekend to install. It is going to have a PVC reducer 4" to 3" which will be installed on the drivers side splash cover. Then it will have an aluminum flexible pipe with DEI covering it to keep the heat away. This flexible aluminum pipe will then be installed to the filter, the to the throttle body. I think I'm going to pick up 5 to 7 HP. But when I hit the Next Level Performance switch. It will do more. I'll post the prosedure with pictures ASAP.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The shortest, straightest route is the best remember. As few bends as possible. Cut it in your hood. Its the best way but you have to have big gonads for that.

Good luck. M.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I send for a small NACA intake. I plan on placing it by making an opening at the splash cover on the drivers side. Then install the aluminum flexable hose [3"] to the K&N Apollo Intake. Well see how it comes out. I'll take some pictures and post them ASAP. BTW, the K&N Apollo Universal Filter will be shipped to me on Monday the 16th. 8)

A little smaller then this one.

·
Registered
542 Posts
you need to put those naca intakes where there's low pressure airflow/surface layer or they won't give any benefit! a velocity stack works best in still air!

best place for the naca intake is on the hood about 1/3rd up from the front (fastest moving air/lowest pressure).

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking at your Intake opening under your RAV4 in the splash cover area. This is the same thing I was thinking of, with the only difference is that I'm using a NACA opening. The filter is the K&N Apollo. I might use some PVC pipe for the IAT senor. I'd would have to trim everything it a little bit with the DREMEL no big deal. Any advice Guru, would be appreciated. mensa.

You see, I was right when I Chrisent Thea, The Guru. :wink:

·
Registered
286 Posts
mensajero said:
I was planing to install it in this same area where Moza has his opening. Of course I would have to cut it a little and place it on the splash cover. Anyone has an opinion or lets say, some constructive criticism is welcome.

mensa if you have this hood scoop and you're to do the moza's mods, please sell me the scoop(if you have it)

1 - 20 of 211 Posts