Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Future RAV4s may be US-built [Canada]

17K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  jabba2000 
#1 ·
I just saw in Automotive News that in 2004, Toyota/Lexus/Scion reached a U.S. sales goal (2 million per year) that it didn't expect to reach for six more years, in 2010.

The article said Toyota is looking to add North American production capability, probably in the U.S. (v. Canada or Mexico), and that the RAV4, the Highlander, and the 4Runner might be built there.
No decision whether it would mean building new plants or upgrading current ones in Kentucky, Indiana, and California.

RAV on.

#27 ·
Re: Canadian Built

parkwaycruiser said:
I've read they are building a RAV4 plant near Kitchener Ontario Canada, that should go online in 2007 or so.
That's true, Toyota will be making the RAV4 in Woodstock, Ontario, Canada, near to the factory in Cambridge that currently builds all the Corollas, Matrix and Lexus RX330 sold in North America.

parkwaycruiser said:
I would still prefer one built in Japan - look for VIN numbers starting with a J not a 1. plant.
Even when I'm not a great fan of cars built in a different place than in the country of design, I must say that Toyota somehow has avoided the drop in quality normally associated to fabrication abroad. Typical example on what not to do, the Benz SUV built in Alabama.

The canadian-based plants have been providing the Corollas to the US-Canada market for more than 15 years, and Corollas are still one of the best car ever built. Same to the Lexus 330. Therefore I would like to give a little bit of credit to those guys. The Camrys built in US are probably as good as the Japan-made, and I think that at least in the Toyota name brand quality has not suffered major setbacks with the jump to NA, but some times we tend to find some issues with the home brews one. Can't say the same for others brands. I think that the lack of quality on this particular issue is more related with the company own internal philosophy than the actual building place.

parkwaycruiser said:
I had a Japanese Camry and it was Lexus quality - probably built at the same Lexus
In general, the Lexus and Toyotas come from the same places and plants and share many components, so it is not something that only happens to the Japan made cars.

Take care.

G
#28 ·
...as the saying goes..never buy an American car...because it's not reliable...like FORD..they kept on saying in their ads the all new FORD EXPEDITON...EXPLORER...etc..after a few months or few years later ..theres a RECALL again...if the new RAV4 will be built in US..I'm not sure of reliability of the RAV4.

#30 ·
Alabama vs Ontario

Who would you want your car built by? Someone who used to work at Cooter's Garage or Canadian Tire?
I don't have knowledge of the Alabama automotive workforce but i can tell you that in the newer generation of auto workers in Ontario you will find University grads with Dr. and Law degrees taking these high paying jobs.

The high wages are thanks to the Auto Unions have put so much extra cost into the North American cars which have cost us consumers over the years. :x

G
#31 ·
I thought I would have to reply to a few things that were talked about here. Union wages do increase the price of vehicles. Also, huge salaries for corporate people and chief execs which make millions per year also are a factor. Japanese factories in this counry which are usually located in the south are 90% non union and the quality is 100% as good as the ones made in Japan. If the quality is less than 100%, heads do roll, that is the way they do things. These are the facts, I know many in the auto industry. This is where I get my information.

G
#32 ·
Excuse me butting-in with a European persective on the country of manufacture debate - but I bought a new FORD Explorer for my wife and I was really appalled at the poor quality compared with European and Japanese cars that we'd owned before.
That's not to mention Ford's complete lack of interest in fixing the quality problems and serious delays with recalls for known issues.

I'm sure that the F150 sells well because it represents good value for money - but that does not necessarily equate to quality.
Quality is not simply about reliability, but also fit, finish, durability, service and owner satisfaction.

Sorry - nothing to do with RAV4 (or which I am a very happy owner 2001 - 63k miles).
Wife now has a Toyota Landcruiser Colorado (1998 - 103k miles).
These are our second Japanese-built Toyotas and I really don't see the point in owning anything else.

G
#33 ·
1998 Jeep

I traded my 1998 Jeep for a 1999 4Runner after only a few months with the Jeep. The 4Runner ran for over 6 years without any problems. The Jeep was in the dealer's garage at least once a month for transmission clunking, and differential and steering problems.

Here's one example: In the Jeep's service manual, it says to drain and refill the differentials once a year, but they don't put a drain and fill plug on them, so the entire shell has to be pulled off and resealed every time you do it. It takes about an hour and is a big mess, for something that all Toyotas come standard with, which can be done in about 10 minutes.

This has nothing to do with where it was built. It's how it was designed in the first place using off the shelf old AMC technology and parts.

The technology on my 98 Jeep came right off my old 1973 AMC Gremlin - same low tech engine, crappy steering, and transmission - need I say more. I should have learned my lesson with the Gremlin. I'm sorry, but that was the last American designed car I will ever buy.

#35 ·
may be your job some day

I would just like to make a comment to those who'd rather their cars be built in a foreign country. First of all, I have had a couple Toyotas and their quality is impecable, as compared to a Ford I had which was in the shop twice a year. Having said that, 80% of my staff's jobs are being sent to either India or Russia because their labor rate is cheaper. So be careful when you say you prefer foreign work over your own country's, because some day it may be your own job that's being transferred overseas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.