Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I’m currently at 18K miles and my 2020 RAV4h has yet to be in the shop. It does have the fuel filling issue and I’ve had to jump start it twice at this point but other than those issues, it has been reliable. Thanks to these forums, I was prepared and I have been carrying my jump pack around with me, so each time it needed a jump, my trip was delayed by about two minutes total. The fuel filling issue is a minor inconvenience as I only go to the gas station once a month and fill my vehicle with jerry-cans for the remainder of the month. I’ll bring it into the shop to get these issues addressed at some point.

Coming from a Ford that was unable to move under its own power or had suspension failure issues three times within 18K, I’d say the RAV4h is fairing pretty well in comparison.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m currently at 18K miles and my 2020 RAV4h has yet to be in the shop. It does have the fuel filling issue and I’ve had to jump start it twice at this point but other than those issues, it has been reliable. Thanks to these forums, I was prepared and I have been carrying my jump pack around with me, so each time it needed a jump, my trip was delayed by about two minutes total. The fuel filling issue is a minor inconvenience as I only go to the gas station once a month and fill my vehicle with jerry-cans for the remainder of the month. I’ll bring it into the shop to get these issues addressed at some point.

Coming from a Ford that was unable to move under its own power or had suspension failure issues three times within 18K, I’d say the RAV4h is fairing pretty well in comparison.
Two failed starts in 18K doesn’t sound too “reliable”..... anyway I’m at 10K on my 2020 and had two failures to start in 7500K miles. Dealership put on a new battery, asked them about TSB update, but I’m not sure they even checked to update it. Came from a Fusion with 80K plus miles that gave me ZERO problems. That is what I base reliability on. Traded because I wanted CUV, tired of sedans..... I have questioned that decision a few times over the last few months!!!

Reactions: Lindenwood

·
Registered
230 Posts
The fuel tank and electrical (battery) issues are likely the impetus for this article. Not sure CR is still the best judge of auto info. One can search online forums like Edmunds, KBB, CarComplaints, etc to view info from various owners. Admittedly, on those sites people making comments are not vetted as actual owners.

Consumer Reports and even Edmunds have always praised the CRV. However, go to carcomplaints.com and you will see many verified issues with the CRV. Unfortunately, there is not a forum like rav4world for the CRV. They have a forum called crvowners club but owners who present an issue are often crucified and the forum is moderated as such.

RAV4 does have issues, but imo still provides the best reliability in its class. Key statements from the CR article.

Reports provides the RAV4 with an owner satisfaction rating of four out of five. This means some RAV4 owners are still very happy.

When asked, 71% of survey participants said they would purchase the 2020 Toyota RAV4 again. So, you could have a great experience with the 2020 model. Just be aware of the potential issues it may come with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I’m not mistaken, from what I have read, the RAV4 has had the battery and fuel issue since the 2019 models. It seems to be well documented. It’s not like we didn’t know what we were buying.

Reactions: Colonel

·
Registered
360 Posts
If I’m not mistaken, from what I have read, the RAV4 has had the battery and fuel issue since the 2019 models. It seems to be well documented. It’s not like we didn’t know what we were buying.
I too came from a Fusion that had zero issues in 90k, only reason I moved on was it started killing my back.

I believe the battery issues started with the 2020. I have a 2019 with zero problems so far after 11k.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not to good for the Toyota brand, up until now Rav4 has always had a great reputation. Perhaps Toyota's drive to save a $$$ has come back to bite them in the A**

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unless that website called Consumer Report will unlock all those data for the public to see I'll consider the report as BS. Why lock everything?

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Unless that website called Consumer Report will unlock all those data for the public to see I'll consider the report as BS. Why lock everything?
One has to pay a subscription fee, as on their website, to have access to all of their data. That is how they fund their research.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check with your local library, they usually have the latest copy there, that way you won't have to dip your hand into pocket..

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
Why would the fuel filling issue be called a reliability one? It may indeed be a frustration but it does not stop the car from running perfectly.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Two failed starts in 18K doesn’t sound too “reliable”..... anyway I’m at 10K on my 2020 and had two failures to start in 7500K miles. Dealership put on a new battery, asked them about TSB update, but I’m not sure they even checked to update it. Came from a Fusion with 80K plus miles that gave me ZERO problems. That is what I base reliability on. Traded because I wanted CUV, tired of sedans..... I have questioned that decision a few times over the last few months!!!
They have had the TSB available since even before my first fail to start. I’m just slow on getting to the dealer to get it applied. People seem to be reporting that the TSB does seem to fix their 12v drain issue.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Why would the fuel filling issue be called a reliability one? It may indeed be a frustration but it does not stop the car from running perfectly.
The quoted CR report cites electrical issues as their first noted problem. But agree I that a fuel filling issue is not a reliability problem, but rather is an engineering and design result.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If I had to jump start a new car with only 18,000 miles on it, I would be camped out at the stealership. Maybe wandering around talking to prospective buyers in the showroom. After I got kicked out, I would be picketing.
OR, one more jump and it's Lemon Law time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If I had to jump start a new car with only 18,000 miles on it, I would be camped out at the stealership. Maybe wandering around talking to prospective buyers in the showroom. After I got kicked out, I would be picketing.
OR, one more jump and it's Lemon Law time.
Meh, again, the TSB is available since even before my first fail to start. I could have had it addressed after my first fail to start but I am choosing not to go to the dealer for the time being, not because of COVID but just because I hate going to the dealer. Jumping the vehicle once every six months is not that big of a deal.

My Jeep had brake master cylinder failure at 3,000 miles causing me to have no brakes while going 70 MPH and my Ford had two separate types of suspension failures by 18K (sway bar end-link disconnected in the front and a snapped coil spring in the rear that got bound up in the wheel causing me to skid to a halt); so having a car not trying to kill me is a pleasant change (my bar for happiness/satisfaction is low).

·
Registered
35 Posts
With that kind of luck, have you ever considered public transportation?!?!!!? :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts