Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been critical but also recognize that Toyota is perhaps being treated a little unfairly when you consider major components.

IMO Consumer Reports should apply badness weightings to problems to determine how unreliable something is. For instance, fuel systems that catch fire while driving should have far more impact than entertainment units that reboot themselves. Grenading transmissions should have far more impact than seat heaters that stop working.

People care more about the catastrophic, expensive or dangerous failures than annoying things that get fixed with a software flash.

Seems to me that Toyota's engines and transmissions are still pretty robust. The driveline troubles with DTV are a concern as are the fuel tank issues, and roof rack leaks to prove to have significant impact maybe.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If I had to jump start a new car with only 18,000 miles on it, I would be camped out at the stealership..
Agreed Paperboy.
Tens of Thousands of Dollars being invested for a Brand New SUV.. No Way should you have to carry a Jumper to get your Investment moving.. it better Engage EVERYTIME.

These Are Not Yugo's...

Hood Release? What's That? Never Touched It.. Never Will.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a 1992 Mazda B2600i pickup. Around 10 or 12 years ago, I didn't get the driveer's door fully latched, it sat for a couple of days with the dome light on. The battery was mid-life, I had to use a jump box to start it. TWENTY NINE years. ONE jump start. Three times in a year, and it would either be in a junkyard or someone else's problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm coming from a 2008 Scion tC with over 140,000 miles and I had zero issues. I'm talking tons of carwashes, and that thing has a giant moonroof! the entire top of the car is a moonroof and it never leaked. Never had battery issues too. So seeing all this stuff scares me as I went with Toyota again for the reliability I've had for years growing up. So far so good!

·
Registered
57 Posts
If the port/direct injection Dynamic Force 2.0L and 2.5L engine, Aisin 8 speed, iMT 6 speed, (Corolla) CVT with the physical first gear, and Dynamic Torque Vectoring all turn out to be bulletproof in a few years, then I would say one has to give credit to Toyota engineering for a job well done, even if their body design team may have missed the boat a few times with recovery points, roof rails and centre consoles that bump my knee the wrong way.

That's a lot of new mechanicals for models that sell in the millions.

·
Registered
182 Posts
TWENTY NINE years. ONE jump start. Three times in a year, and it would either be in a junkyard or someone else's problem.
Agreed.
May As Well Go Down To "Old Billy Bob's Used Cars" Lot and grab something cheap and USED.
If I have to worry about not getting Ignition at any given startup.

·
Registered
182 Posts
How do you check your oil, brake fluid, and coolant levels?
You're Kidding Right?
2021 Here.. 1.3K Miles On It.
3/36 Bumper To Bumper Warranty.
My Hybrid-Limited Has ZERO ISSUES.
I Check Nothing.. For The 40K I Paid For It, I Drive It Around Town.. And The Technician Will Check Those Items @ The 5K Service This Summer.

Reactions: Jan Wagner

·
Registered
202 Posts
You're Kidding Right?
2021 Here.. 1.3K Miles On It.
3/36 Bumper To Bumper Warranty.
My Hybrid-Limited Has ZERO ISSUES.
I Check Nothing.. For The 40K I Paid For It, I Drive It Around Town.. And The Technician Will Check Those Items @ The 5K Service This Summer.
You are still responsible for checking your oil level, coolant reservoirs (yes, you have two), and brake fluid level. People trust technicians entirely too much to do the right thing.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My two most reliable cars ever were ones CR rated as poor. An Oldsmobile years ago, and a Nissan with 350,000 miles that I still drive daily. The only CR vehicle I ever had that was rated highly was a complete lemon (ford).

Having said that the Rav certainly has had its issues, so we will see long term whether it is a few glitches or overall the platform is poor. Time tells all.

CR has always been Honda lovers. They completely downplay the Honda Oil dillution issue, to the point of it smelling like propaganda for Honda. I have never owned a Honda so I don't really care, it just makes me not trust CR

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
The CR small SUV reliability rankings have changed over the years. When we bought our SUVs Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 were rated by CR at the top. So far so good - wife's 2010 CR-V and my 2011 RAV4 V6 both have been bulletproof. Only safety recalls - Takata airbags, rear seat belt clips, with mine windshield wiper control arms (possible corrosion).

And in more than 60 years of vehicle ownership have never had to have one jump started, even in Minnesota outdoors at -20F.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
405 Posts
I have a 1992 Mazda B2600i pickup. Around 10 or 12 years ago, I didn't get the driveer's door fully latched, it sat for a couple of days with the dome light on. The battery was mid-life, I had to use a jump box to start it. TWENTY NINE years. ONE jump start. Three times in a year, and it would either be in a junkyard or someone else's problem.
I had a 1999 camry 10 years ago.
Developed an issue with dead battery every 12 hours. I had to jump it every morning or disconnect battery every evening so I can start it in the morning.
Took me month and a few trips to mechanic to figure out the problem.

I had leaking sunroof that I had silicone shut a year or so before. Well the switch that open close apparently short it out and was trying to open the roof all the time. Since it was glued in place it was triggering it repeatedly all the time draining the battery. I heard it on the way from the mechanic by chance. I turned around and told that to mechanic. He listened and load test it. And sure enough.
Could not pull the fuse as it was a joint circuit with something important.

And that kids how I got my first new Subaru 😂🤣. As the cost of fixing would be more than the car was worth.

·
Registered
853 Posts
CR "reliability" ratings are a bit of a scam, since reliability implies how long it will last. They survey owners and ask if they had a problem. If your gas tank won't fill all the way you vote yes. If your roof leaks on your head you vote yes. They also only survey for a few years, not long term.

I agree these are huge problems, but its a lot different than if the engine stops running. If you can't fill your gas tank and the roof leaks on your head - you will be completely unsatisfied - but it will still get you to work in the morning, albeit wet perhaps :). Its not unreliable - the way I understand the word at least. It should be called customer satisfaction or some such thing - not reliability.

Just one more scam from CR.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Let's face it, the CR headline is click-bait, and the CR writers should look up the definition of "reliable", which officially is "performing consistently well'.
So the gas tank issue is a technical design issue and the battery problem is still undefined.. nothing to do with reliability.
With my non hybrid I have no gas tank issues and also I do not have any battery issues. And I sometimes only take the Rav4 out once a week. Starts every time. No issues at all. Very reliable!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
If one consistently reads CR itself (not articles which are non-CR re-writes such as at the start of this thread), there are occasional reports about long term reliability, such as in articles about which used cars are winners and which ones to avoid, along with brief notes of reliability problems in those to be avoided. The April annual auto issue lists reliability ratings based upon user and owner surveys. We receive a survey each year and it is about as detailed as one would expect from a general consumer magazine. We use the mag. as a guide but not necessarily as an ultimate bible regarding autos and other products.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts