Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
A couple years ago I bought a brand new F250. After 6 weeks and 1500 miles, the ECU crapped out as I was merging onto the highway. I was barely able to limp off the road as a huge Semi barreled up behind me. I had my 10-month-old son with me. Yeah, they fixed it under warranty (which was obviously a major inconvenience to me), but overall THAT is unreliable in my eyes.

Yeah, I would be a little annoyed if I had to jump it every 6 months. But given there is is acknowledged and free fix, that I can schedule on my own time, it wouldn't bother me too much.

Honestly, as others have brought up, reliability to me means the cehicle can get me where I need to go every time. Non-immediate issues that I can schedule to fix on my own timeline and at no cost are inconvenient, but not deal-breakers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
ICYMI: Consumer Reports Ranks the 2020 Toyota RAV4 as Least Reliable

(Checked to see if it was already shared before I posted)

Not stirring up sh*t amongst my fellow RAV4'ers, just sharing FYI
CR rates 2020 RAV4 overall reliability as 3/5.
Electronics 2/5
Fuel system 3/5
Engine Major and Minor as 5/5
!engine Cooling 5/5
transmission 5/5

not bad compared to most SUVs that are also having problems with electronics. Fuel System is mainly the fuel tank design on hybrids

hope this helps.
no problems with my 2019 RAV4 Limited Gas Model in past 2 years.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I’ve had a myriad of Toyotas over the last 40 years as well as Fords and Vw’, and Mini Cooper. The Toyota had been by FAR the most dependable and has maintained their value the best overall by a LONG shot.
Say what you will on any given year, or maybe I’ve just been “lucky” with the 10 or so I’ve had (😆) but I’m sold. Will never buy anything else (well, I’m old enough that the 2 Rav4’s in my garage will surely last me the rest of our years (my 2001 Highlander I just gave to my grand-niece was in perfect condition after 180k and will go strong for many years). 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was sad when I saw the article. I waited for this car for about 5 years as I drove my 2011 Kia Soul and finally upgraded when Soul had 216k (still going strong with my dad). When I started to put it in perspective The Rav is the least of the best. There are so many others that rate lower. I have 23K on my 2020 hybrid and so far so good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
After reading it I’m comforted a little knowing that it’s the gas tank and battery issue that drove the rating down. Neither of which mine seems to have.
No battery problem on my 2019 rav4 hybrid. Didn't drive it 8 days twice. Started right up each time. Toyota replaced the fuel tank and fuel sending gage last week. Hope no more issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m currently at 18K miles and my 2020 RAV4h has yet to be in the shop. It does have the fuel filling issue and I’ve had to jump start it twice at this point but other than those issues, it has been reliable. Thanks to these forums, I was prepared and I have been carrying my jump pack around with me, so each time it needed a jump, my trip was delayed by about two minutes total. The fuel filling issue is a minor inconvenience as I only go to the gas station once a month and fill my vehicle with jerry-cans for the remainder of the month. I’ll bring it into the shop to get these issues addressed at some point.

Coming from a Ford that was unable to move under its own power or had suspension failure issues three times within 18K, I’d say the RAV4h is fairing pretty well in comparison.
I have a 2012 RAV4 AWD V6 86K mi – I have never had to jump it. I have no fuel issues. I bought it as Certified Pre-Owned with 3 years on it and 22,000 mi at purchase.
I have only ever had routine scheduled maintenance done.
Maybe I should never get rid of this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid XSE
400 Posts
I’ve had a myriad of Toyotas over the last 40 years as well as Fords and Vw’, and Mini Cooper. The Toyota had been by FAR the most dependable and has maintained their value the best overall by a LONG shot.
Say what you will on any given year, or maybe I’ve just been “lucky” with the 10 or so I’ve had (😆) but I’m sold. Will never buy anything else (well, I’m old enough that the 2 Rav4’s in my garage will surely last me the rest of our years (my 2001 Highlander I just gave to my grand-niece was in perfect condition after 180k and will go strong for many years). 👍
We’ve had 7 Toyota vehicles (Matrix, Highlander, Venza, Prius C, RAV4, RAV4, Highlander). The Venza had a wheel bearing replaced. Current RAV4 had the gas tank issue (fixed). That’s it. We have not had any other issues. And we drive our cars. Prior to this past year I put 30k a year. I still drove 24k My wife 20k.

Had a Mazda CX-7. Timing belt busted with around 35k miles on it. Was stranded with the family on the side of the road at night.

Had a Saturn Vue. Developed rear differential issues. Stranded.

Wife had a Beetle...always taking it in for something.

Only other car that lasted without any issues was a Geo Prizm. Gave it away with 200k and running great. Most parts on it were Toyota.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2020 RAV4 XSE Hybrid is great now!
  • Had the issue with "dead battery" : dealer replaced the battery with a new one and performed TSB software update(s).
  • Had the gas tank issue : dealer performed TSB update, replaced the tank, measurement unit, etc.
... :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Owning my first Toyota has been an excellent experience for me. My 2020 RAV4 XLE premium has been trouble free for more than 11000 miles. There was an issue with the phone app that the dealer corrected on the first oil change and it has worked flawless to date. I was a bit unsettled when issues came out over bad engines that I apparently missed. I did have one recall over a suspension part that the dealer corrected on one visit. I am hesitant over 10K oil changes but wanted to make the first one and see if any oil was used. Surprise ..none. Now I plan to change every 5K as I have a lot of city driving and this Toyota may make it to my demise unless a bad driver or deer takes it out .....

·
Registered
17 Posts
My two most reliable cars ever were ones CR rated as poor. An Oldsmobile years ago, and a Nissan with 350,000 miles that I still drive daily. The only CR vehicle I ever had that was rated highly was a complete lemon (ford).

Having said that the Rav certainly has had its issues, so we will see long term whether it is a few glitches or overall the platform is poor. Time tells all.

CR has always been Honda lovers. They completely downplay the Honda Oil dillution issue, to the point of it smelling like propaganda for Honda. I have never owned a Honda so I don't really care, it just makes me not trust CR
I trust CR for a lot of ratings but I think they have it wrong both with the RAV4 (and the Tacoma). In my experience my 17 Tacoma and 19 RAV4 hybrid have been great. My RAV4 may be the best car I have owned (at least so far). Why CR rags on the Tacoma is beyond me other than they want a truck to be a car. Toyota got me for life when they recalled my previous Tacoma for the rust frame issues. Smartest thing they ever did in my opinion. Has any other company come close to doing something like that ?

·
Registered
371 Posts

I’m not sure “Least Reliable” is an accurate description, and compared to what? The yellow overall Consumer Reports rating for the 2020 Toyota Rav4 is right in the middle of their ratings range, or “average” in my estimation. My personal experience is that I purchased my 2020 Rav4 Limited in Nov. 2019 and have had no problems with it, although due to covid I’ve driven only about 5k miles so far. But I’m very happy with the vehicle.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I’m not sure “Least Reliable” is an accurate description, and compared to what? The yellow overall Consumer Reports rating for the 2020 Toyota Rav4 is right in the middle of their ratings range, or “average” in my estimation. My personal experience is that I purchased my 2020 Rav4 Limited in Nov. 2019 and have had no problems with it, although due to covid I’ve driven only about 5k miles so far. But I’m very happy with the vehicle.
It's click bait. If they said Chrysler is the least reliable no one would buy their stupid magazine because everyone already knows this. In 2021 you must cause controversy to get noticed it seems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
After having driven a 2018 LE and a 2020 LE back to back, hopefully this will force Toyota to give the new design a thorough set of improvements for the mid-cycle refresh.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts