Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
would be nice if you could post a picture of it. mine's starting to loose power steering fluid lately.... but i hope it's just a seal or o-ring and not have to replace the rack....

K

·
0 Posts
I just had my rack replaced last week. The mechanic got me a refurbished one for $550. 5 hours of labor later I paid him $920 and drove away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bad Toyota in this case. The seal where the shaft from the steering wheel comes in is a bad design (like our valve stem seals) and starts leaking. You can put in the thick Lucas stop leak and it will slow the leak by 10 times, but a valve will make a one-time groan upon starting in cold weather with the thick Lucas fluid. I just zip-tied a towel around that area to catch the pint of fluid I lose each year with the Lucas fluid so it doesn't drip on the road and run into our streams and rivers.

M

·
0 Posts
1997 RAV4 Steering Rack Leak

Anyone know of a place to buy a kit to fix this?

Mine is leaking where the steering wheel shaft enters the gear box.

I don't feel I should have to replace the entire steering rack just to fix a slow leak.

Yes, I do want it solved, and not simply a stop leak fluid. etc.

Any suggestions.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Re: 1997 RAV4 Steering Rack Leak

michail1 said:
Anyone know of a place to buy a kit to fix this?

Mine is leaking where the steering wheel shaft enters the gear box.

I don't feel I should have to replace the entire steering rack just to fix a slow leak.

Yes, I do want it solved, and not simply a stop leak fluid. etc.

Any suggestions.
It doesn't look like there's any way to replace that seal, so a new rack is the only way to fix it.

M

·
0 Posts
Power Steering

Silly Question, but can anybody tell me how to tighten my power steering belt, I had new belts all round fitted earlier in the year and now my power steering is getting noisey when on full lock.
Many Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts