Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i dont know how to explain it exactly, but theres this big bolt in the back side of the rack, and it looks like the rack actually cracked down from that bolt. Ill have to take a better look at it for myself (thats what my teachers description was, he was the one that noticed it)

·
Registered
542 Posts
would be nice if you could post a picture of it. mine's starting to loose power steering fluid lately.... but i hope it's just a seal or o-ring and not have to replace the rack....

K

·
0 Posts
I just had my rack replaced last week. The mechanic got me a refurbished one for $550. 5 hours of labor later I paid him $920 and drove away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bad Toyota in this case. The seal where the shaft from the steering wheel comes in is a bad design (like our valve stem seals) and starts leaking. You can put in the thick Lucas stop leak and it will slow the leak by 10 times, but a valve will make a one-time groan upon starting in cold weather with the thick Lucas fluid. I just zip-tied a towel around that area to catch the pint of fluid I lose each year with the Lucas fluid so it doesn't drip on the road and run into our streams and rivers.

M

·
0 Posts
1997 RAV4 Steering Rack Leak

Anyone know of a place to buy a kit to fix this?

Mine is leaking where the steering wheel shaft enters the gear box.

I don't feel I should have to replace the entire steering rack just to fix a slow leak.

Yes, I do want it solved, and not simply a stop leak fluid. etc.

Any suggestions.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Re: 1997 RAV4 Steering Rack Leak

michail1 said:
Anyone know of a place to buy a kit to fix this?

Mine is leaking where the steering wheel shaft enters the gear box.

I don't feel I should have to replace the entire steering rack just to fix a slow leak.

Yes, I do want it solved, and not simply a stop leak fluid. etc.

Any suggestions.
It doesn't look like there's any way to replace that seal, so a new rack is the only way to fix it.

M

·
0 Posts
Power Steering

Silly Question, but can anybody tell me how to tighten my power steering belt, I had new belts all round fitted earlier in the year and now my power steering is getting noisey when on full lock.
Many Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts