Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Galway Independent: RAV4 comes with value added

Toyota's third generation RAV4 is a brand new compact Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV), with little to resemble the older model apart from the name. The changes are huge for Europe's best selling compact SUV, which in turn is taking the Irish market by storm with competitive prices. Michael Moroney reports on his recent RAV4 test drive

Toyota's new 2.2 litre turbo-diesel engine is made from
aluminum for lightness and to help fuel economy.

The latest generation Toyota RAV4 is as different as it needs to be to carry on from the success of the previous model. It comes with new engines, new suspensions and a brand new body design, enough to attract a second look.

My first impressions were that the new RAV4 was too car-like in appearance. That was before I got up close and started my testing programme. That's where it all changed. This RAV4 is different and its appeal is a combination of its styling and performance ability. And it needs both to compete in the compact SUV market, which has grown hugely since the first RAV4 hit the scene in 1994.

Diesel powered RAV4 sales have dominated to date. The arrival of a new 2.2 litre turbo-diesel engine for the new generation RAV4 is going to fuel that demand even further. The new engine is bigger than the 2.0 litre one that it replaces and has almost 20 per cent more power and torque.

That extra power means that the new RAV4 turbo-diesel can accelerate in a 0 to 100km/hr pace of 10.5 seconds. That?s shaved almost two seconds from the performance of the older RAV4. There is smoothness in the acceleration that is supported by a new six-speed gearbox. The new gearbox uses a lift type reverse selection, not the typical Toyota choice, but it gets easy to use with time.

More to read at the full article...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Galway Independent article stated:
That extra power means that the new RAV4 turbo-diesel can accelerate in a 0 to 100km/hr pace of 10.5 seconds. That's shaved almost two seconds from the performance of the older RAV4.
0-100km (62 mph) in 10.5 is 2 seconds better than the previous RAV. Am I missing something here :?: Are the European version RAV's that much slower than the U.S. versions, or are they only referring to diesels??

OC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts