Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 V6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new OEM front drivers side CV axle nearly a week ago now on my ‘12 V6. It took some serious work to slide in - used hammers, grease etc. - and I thought I heard it click when I finally shoved it in by hand. However, the past week or so I’ve noticed a couple small puddles in the garage which has lead me to go back and do some digging. When looking at the connection between the silver metal lip at the end of the boot and the diff there seems to be less than an 1/8th” gap and the lip does not sit completely flush with the diff. Symptoms:
  • When I’m driving, the car almost makes a “turbo sound” when accelerating
  • Intermittent scraping noise when turning right (I think this might be due to the rotor dust shield that I’ve had to bend a couple times)
  • Small puddles as discussed above, connection seems a bit oily but I’m not sure

Has anybody seen something like this ? Thanks in advance, picture attached.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Bumper

·
Super Moderator
11,411 Posts
It may not be seated fully or the seal got damaged. You'll probably have to take it apart the check the seal and, if you still have the old shaft, compare the inner ends for length and make sure the spring ring is okay.

·
Registered
2012 V6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may not be seated fully or the seal got damaged. You'll probably have to take it apart the check the seal and, if you still have the old shaft, compare the inner ends for length and make sure the spring ring is okay.
Thanks Fred, any advice on getting that axle back out without damaging the lip ?

·
Registered
2012 V6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: the axle is definitely clipped in as I can not remove it by hand. When not connected to the wheel hub assembly, I can shove the housing in so that it’s flush with the trans but once reassembled and driven it goes back to its previous position maybe an 1/8th” out and cannot be pushed back in. Going to do my best to remove the axle without damaging the housing and replace the seal and then see what happens. Will provide more updates later on.

·
Super Moderator
11,411 Posts
To remove the axle you may have to rig up some kind of support to pry against but with it apparently popping out by itself it may be loose enough to remove by hand.
If you still have the old axle you may be able to swap out the new inner joint for the old one. They usually just slide apart after removing the boot clamp and they rarely fail like the outer CV joint does. That way you'd have an inner joint you know will pop into place correctly.

·
Registered
2012 V6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: have taken the axle out twice since replacement and replaced the seals with oem BOTH times. not only is it still leaking, but the leak has increased dramatically and literally pours out once I reassemble everything and start the car. I have triple checked part numbers, that the seals were undamaged and placed evenly inside the housing, that the breather is unclogged, that the axle was clipped in… running out of ideas here. Possible causes(?):

• side is so incredibly far out of alignment that it pulls outwardly on the shaft allowing oil to leak
  • inner portion isn’t spring loaded like they should come factory
  • failing output shaft bearing

… any other ideas ? I’m lost.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
1,254 Posts
Just checking, is the oil in there the correct viscosity, and not overfilled causing excess pressure? Again, just a guess

As Dr Dyno sad above, is there any difference between the old and new cv axle?

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
1,254 Posts
Also, is your Rav lifted at all? Maybe that causes some seating problems - again, just guessing

·
Registered
2012 V6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, is your Rav lifted at all? Maybe that causes some seating problems - again, just guessing
problem finally solved… took the axle out one last time, luckily didn’t damage the seal with a seal removal tool. Instead of tapping it in using a seal installer, this time I placed it evenly as possible with just my fingers and then did the rest of the work with the axle. no leak and no movement between the axle lip and housing anymore. seems like I’ve just fallen victim to one of the classic blunders - which is simply being a novice. probably damaged the seal on the first attempt and then placed it too far in on the second. guess that’s how you learn. and thank you guys for the help.

p.s. the vehicle is not lifted, the axle that I took out originally was an aftermarket part put in prior to my ownership. it was actually significantly longer than the OEM part that I used which caused some worries at first

1 - 10 of 10 Posts