Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... The RAV was backed into a partily open garage door. The results was a broken stubby antenna,

IMG_1798.jpg

But the base is now pulled back from the roof line

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

I don't see anything thing that is bent per se`, but I think the gap is a little large to just attempt to fill with silicon.

Thoughts on what I'm getting into besides replacing the stubby portion of the antenna?

The car is equipped with both Sirius, and Nav.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I can see a small amount of deformation in front of the mount on the side shot.

I would take it to a body shop, it shouldn't be more than $100 or so.

When done:

Beat-Sonic FDA9T Functional Shark Fin Antenna
FDA9T-1F7 (Classic Silver Metallic)

It sticks on around the stock base and a screw attaches the AM/FM antenna to the base.
Your XM/NAV antennae are in the stock base.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with you noticing the deformation of the metal in front of the antenna base, brings the question on how to remove the base from the roof. Maybe I simply need to reset it onto the roof, or reattach it. I saw in an earlier post that the aftermarket shark fin is simply taped onto the roof.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I would imagine that the liner has to be undone to access any screws holding the antenna base in place.

Also, the indentation may be able to be 'pushed' gently back into place from the inside, or 'pulled' out with a plunger from the outside.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I would definitely take it in.
Even with the sharkfin sticking to the metal, that antenna base is your weather seal and if it is compromised, I would not trust the sharkfin to seal in a car wash or heavy rain.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
I would definitely take it in.
Even with the sharkfin sticking to the metal, that antenna base is your weather seal and if it is compromised, I would not trust the sharkfin to seal in a car wash or heavy rain.

+1. Agree with CB91710 - I had a similar situation with a Honda and the body shop repair cost $300, but a little repainting was needed and the shop is very exacting about their work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts