Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

garage door opener display

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Asantoyo4 
#1 ·
When I got my 17 RAV4, I programmed the garage door opener feature. A few weeks ago, I needed to replace parts on my garage door opener that required me to reprogram the feature. I notice this time that the display shows the door going up or down. The arrow is orange while door is moving and green when done. Anyone know why that would of changed?

#4 ·
There are two "generations" of Homelink garage door openers: V4 and V5. The V4 versions did not provide feedback on the status of the door (going up/down), while the V5 does that. It would seem that the replacement parts you installed updated the garage door opener from V4 to V5, or perhaps the V5 features were activated.

#7 ·
Homelink is a communication standard that is used by most garage door opener manufacturers. https://homelink.com/

Most Homelink rear view mirrors are made by Gentex. Toyota uses Gentex mirrors for most of their cars/trucks as do most other vehicle manufacturers. . Gentex

Don't know when V5 came out, but it has been a few years.
I had a Liftmaster 3800PLD installed over 10 years ago, but they had a manufacturer date of 2008. The opener looks exactly like the later and still available Liftmaster 8500. Looking at the parts list, I found the only parts difference inside the opener was the logic board. Since that was the failing part, I replaced it with the 8500's logic board. But externally, I had to replace all my wired and wireless devices as those weren't compatible with the 8500. The difference between the 3800PLD and 8500 was the 3800PLD had the Security+, while the 8500 is the newest Security+ 2.0. So is it likely the 3800PLD was only compatible with Homelink V4?

#8 ·
I have not had any updates to my garage door opener, but I did upgrade my Sienna van from '05 to '18. The '18 has the arrows, and I can see that the older door opener on my attached garage works, but does not activate the arrows. The newer opener on my detached garage (about 6 years old) DOES show the arrows.

Enjoy your upgrade, but be aware that if you push the button to close the door and drive away (out of range), if the door hits an obstruction and goes back up, you will not see it on your arrows.

#13 ·
About 4 weeks ago I finally finished installing my Lifmaster 8500W; took me about month and half to complete lol 😅. I was taking my time to do a decent installation... I had to install new wires for the sensors and a new power outlet to supply power, I even had to mess with the spring tensioners since the shaft was sticking out on the wrong side. My old door opener was on it's last leg but thankfully lasted until I finished with my installing. It's up and running at the moment but I still have to remove the chain driven door opener and find a good location for the remote light. It notifies me when the door opens and closes and when packages from Amazon have been delivered inside the garage. My brother stopped by to check on the house 2 weeks ago but forgot his keys, he called me to ask if I had a spare key hidden somewhere, I fired up the MyQ app and opened the garage door right from the app instead 😎, he was baffled. Doesn't matter if I'm at work or thousands of miles away.

#14 · (Edited)
That opener I considered buying. The 8500w connects through the wi-fi, we’re as the 8500 you need the gateway connected to the router. A battery backup is also included, where it is an extra in a 8500. For me, backup battery wasn’t that important, power failures aren’t common for me and it just an added maintenance expense. But doing a full replacement would of cost me about $500-$600 a door and getting a professional would be $800-$900 a door. So I instead chose to do a full upgrade of my Liftmaster 3800PLD with 8500 parts that weren't 8500 parts and made myQ app connections. That cost me around $225 in parts per door. It was less work than doing a full replacement and figured I still had good life in the rest of the opener. That took me less than a week to do both doors. Than about a week of dealing a faulty logic board that was sent.

#15 ·
Nice,

I definitely needed to switch to this type of opener, my hopes are that since I have tall ceilings I might be able to install lifts so I can store several cars, there is so much unused space right now because of previous setup... I'm trying to find a type of door that folds like a curtain and still looks nice, don't want an industrial look by installing one of those roll up doors but I'm not getting much luck on that.

Cheers,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.