Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never was a fan of Homelink thinking that if my vehicle was stolen the thieves will not only know where I live (vehicle registration in glove box), they will have easy access to my garage via Homelink.

So on my 2016 RAV4 SE AWD w/Adv Tech Package, I found a nice hiding spot for my garage remote using Velcro tape.

Well, not a hiding spot anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
Our city got hit by break in cars and using homelink to open garage.
I have homelink in my Limited, but I don't want to use it.
They make keychain type remotes.
Also would be nice if homelink will not work unless the car is running.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ha, this is the exact same spot I put my remote on the first day I bought my Rav4. Well, technically day 2. I had it on my visor for the first day but didn’t like it there because (1) it is visible and (2) the visor is super thick. Next day I went to the store and picked up some Velcro tape and hid it in the same spot. I did, however, have it further back where the edge of the remote was touching the back of the cubby. So now, even when sitting in the driver seat you can’t tell the remote is back there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice location. I think I'll move mine down from the visor.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would think that crooks who break into cars look for the hiding places for the garage door opener. They know that it has to be within arms reach to use, so there are not a lot of places that they need to look. They can break into your car, grab your remote and your address information and while you are filling out the police report they are loading your stuff out of your house. The best deterrent is to keep a Lion tied up in your garage and let a Tiger roam free in your house. ;-). Crooks are hard to beat because they are scum and don't care about laws or anyone but themselves.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most theft/break ins are a crime of opportunity. Unless your car is specifically targeted, most thieves will not want to “search” for something to steal when they break into your car. By at least making the remote (or any other valuable items) hidden from plain view, it makes the your car less appealing to the random thief. If I was a thief walking pass 2 parks cars and one has a portable GPS unit mounted on the dash or windshield and the other car I see nothing of value, I would break into the car with the visible item to steal. Break window, grab GPS and run. Be in and one it like 2 seconds. I certainly wouldn’t break into the other car and spend time searching the glove box, center console, cup holders, ash tray, or other hiding places in the hope I find something worth taking.

We may never been able to stop all thieves but you can definitely make your car less of a target.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
When I installed my Homelink transmitter, I made sure it was wired to a circuit that's hot when the key is in the ON position, not ACC. And when I flip up the visor, it's hidden from view:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great idea! I've only had my Rav4 a couple weeks and have been trying to figure out where to store the garage remote. Thank you!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Wire it with ACC, not BAT, so you or theft can open it only when the key is in. Not 100% security, but at least additional step.

~ 2016 Toyota RAV4 Limited Electric Blue ~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts