Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is not much to installation - just plug in the cigarette lighter plug. I need to route my wire more cleanly and eventually will hard wire it to switched 12v once I'm sure I'm keeping it. It seems to work quite well and is easy to use.
The Garmin C-series NAV's are very compact and fit cozily to the left of the cluster hump. There is no obstruction of view at all in this location.

·
Registered
242 Posts
gps

I just got the i3 from Amazon...Bought the antenna as well :roll: The only thing I must install are maps :cry: I'm going to buy more memory soon 8) I used velcro to place the disk sideways on silver radio trim...The unit is right behind wiper control :lol: Good view :wink: The i3 will not name turns.....But it's ok for now :lol: The unit is pretty small....OK for now :wink:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alien18 said:
Looks good but isnt it a little bit too smal or doest it just look like that on the pic?? What are its dimensions??
It is very small - the screen is maybe 3"x2" but it is a touchscreen and very easy to see and use. There is some glare when it is very sunny outside, but I ordered a anti glare film from one of the PDA suppliers. Postman got an Garmin I3 which is even smaller! Go to a Circuit City and try these things out. You'll be surprised at how easy they are to use - plus you can move them from car to car. I ordered an extra suction cup mount for my wife's Yukon.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: gps

postman said:
I just got the i3 from Amazon...Bought the antenna as well :roll: The only thing I must install are maps :cry: I'm going to buy more memory soon 8) I used velcro to place the disk sideways on silver radio trim...The unit is right behind wiper control :lol: Good view :wink: The i3 will not name turns.....But it's ok for now :lol: The unit is pretty small....OK for now :wink:
Hi Postman,
Please take a pic of your mounting arrangement. Also, humor me and try the unit without the external antenna in your mounting location. Someone on the Infiniti FX board said they mounted a C330 on their ashtray (mid dash) and had no problem picking up the satellites. GPS seems to be more forgiving than satellite radio - perhaps cause of the number of satellites up there...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got a garmin Quest that was openbox and it took a week for the store to order a replacment mount, the thing would be on the floor of the passanger side yelling out directions when it slid off the dash.

Mounted mine mid dash but I might try moving it to the location you have it and see if I like it better.

·
Registered
242 Posts
gps

If I can learn how to post a picture I will try real soon....I mounted it close to me because the i3 will not name turns....So at times I must glance at the name of turn( very small).I really don't have a problem with picking up the Birds :lol: I guess you could mount in middle of dash :lol: I'm trying to learn about Waas setting...I just keep on GPS.......When the weather is bad it takes a little longer...I would test yours first before buying antenna :lol: Don't buy from Garmin!!!Go to Amazon first :lol: They even have better one for 42.00...Read reviews!!I wish mine would name streets...I'll try to learn to post picture :roll: :roll: :roll: But for 330.. it's really cool :wink: But it won't give short cuts :wink: I would'nt put my hopes in a glare shield :( :(

·
Registered
242 Posts
no antenna

Did you my i3 during that terrible rain storm :shock: I mean it was realing coming down :roll: The unit was just great :!: Did not use external Antenna :shock: Picked up the Birds in about 1 min :shock: It really helped me finding exits 2 :lol: Had to put volume up to 5......Wipers :roll: Loud :roll: I think you should get that disk :!: Glare is going be problem in with that location :x

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tried the side position and moved mine back to center, was easyer to see since I am right eye dominate. Never have a problem picking up the birds.... and you know they sent the first of the second generation birds into space last month, more powerfull signal and more acurate.

·
Registered
214 Posts
RAVenous said:
There is not much to installation - just plug in the cigarette lighter plug. I need to route my wire more cleanly and eventually will hard wire it to switched 12v once I'm sure I'm keeping it. It seems to work quite well and is easy to use.
The Garmin C-series NAV's are very compact and fit cozily to the left of the cluster hump. There is no obstruction of view at all in this location.

Thanks for posting this. To feed my geekism, I have been considering buying a GPS for the RAV since I bought it. I was actually very disappointed that Toyota was too stupid to offer one as a factory option in the US, but such is life. I had actually considered the oemvalue.com GPS but $1600 is simply not in my budget.

That being said, I have now started considering the Garmin C series or the 2720. Trouble is, I haven't found a good "comparison guide". I'd rather not have to load things from the computer, but I would need the way to input the addresses to which I'm travelling (not just points of interests).

The C series is my first choice because of it's small, clean look, but how do you enter addresses and such?

Wayne

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After further consideration, I moved the Garmin to the right side of the cluster and used the glue disk they provide. I'll take a pic when I can. My kid drives the car mostly and he wanted it on that side. The glue disk has 3M tape on the back, so hopefully it will come off someday when we sell the car. I gutted one of those square kleenex designer boxes and left one tissue sticking out the top. Cool trick to thwart potential thieves and to keep unit out of the sun when parked.

The 2720 and even the new C340 have some minor issues with occasional lockups and also initially finding the sats. The C340 suffers from glare more than the 2720 and I had to buy a PDA-type antiglare screen protector for $12 from Boxwave.com. For a good forum that discusses all the different brands of NAV, see http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?group=2

The C320 and C330 seems to be bulletproof but you don't get the spoken street name which is a must-have to me. The 2720 is definitely the choice for a traveling salesperson. The C340 allows saving your locations, but doesn't allow routing of multiple destinations in one day's trip for example. The C340 finds restaurants and gas stations and gets you where you are going - perfect for my teenager.

·
Registered
242 Posts
gps

GPSpassion it's a cool sight HUH :?: I wish I could learn how to post a pic :roll: :roll: I removed 3m tape and used industrial velcro on disk....I mounted sideways on silver trim around radio :lol: You will find that you can adjust unit to stop glare :wink: That box idea on the unit is coolllllllll But ! We Radar Detector users have used that trick for years :p :p I like a baseball cap :lol: :lol: Not Yankee!!! I think that the c340 will get firmware update soon :lol: I got 3 so far :shock:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just put two and two together - are you "Mailman" on GPSPassion? That would be too funny. I'm "SDGuy" on the C340 thread.

·
Registered
242 Posts
GPS

Dang you got it :lol: :lol: You can catch me on a cool Radar Detector sight 2.......You don't need Radar info do you :lol: :lol: It's a small world SD :roll:

·
Registered
242 Posts
gps

Dang you got it :lol: Yes it's me :roll: But that's not me on the Playboy Forum :lol: :lol: Need a good Radar DEtector sight :?: :?:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, small world!

Radar detectors would really clutter my dash. knock wood - haven't gotten a ticket in years.

How about the Ham radio, Porsche and Infiniti forums? :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts