Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! New to this wonderful forum. Been looking around the web and this most certainly looks like the ideal place to find RAV4 experts...

I recently bought a Garmin i5 GPS for my new RAV4 '06 (V6 Limited)and am wondering how I might power up the GPS without having that 'dang ugly cigarette lighter plug traipsing across the dash - and my lap.

If I were to cut off the cigaretter plug end of the power cord and try to wire this directly into an appropriate source (so that it's only powered up when the RAV4 is on/running), can anyone recommend a good (= smart and safe) way to do this?

I've already read the wonderful posting on how to install the power mirror and at first thought this might be a good idea.

But, I think a better place for the GPS unit is actually mounted on the lower front left corner of the windshield. So, I guess I'm really trying to figure out how to tap power from the dashboard somewhere - which is probably easier! What supplies might I need if I'm going to cut off the wires from the cigarette lighter plug-end of the cord?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Welcome. I just got a garmin gps system too. you can check my cardomain site for info on the mounting. also take a look at the other threads for garmin installation. you'll find some creative ways people have placed theirs on.

these were all for the 4.2 rav4's though. i'm sure you can do something similar.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zoomie said:
Welcome. I just got a garmin gps system too. you can check my cardomain site for info on the mounting..
Beautiful! Now I'm going to scrounge around a bit and see what I can learn about how to hardwire up the Garmin. :wink:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be careful placing stuff on the lower left side of the windshield. There's a warning in the handbook about items placed there becoming missiles should the side airbags ever deploy. :shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts