Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently i purchased 2 gas struts to replace the annoying prop rod. Well i installed them today only to find out that the struts that i purchased are not strong enough to hold my hood up. I've seen other forums where owners have bought the kit for this but I'm wondering what the weight rating on the struts is. I believe mine are 56lbs each but I'm hoping i can get some stronger and still make this work

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
Where did you get the struts? I got my QuickLift struts from Redline Tuning. It was a kit especially made for the RAV4. And they have held my hood up perfectly for over 8 years now.

Edit: A few years ago I wrote this:

I"ve found that the hood struts for the 1998-2000 Lexus LS400 are exactly the right size. They can be had at AutoZone for $25.99 each. Here's the specs:

Extended length: 20.3 inches (515 mm) ball mount to ball mount
Stroke length: 7.8 inches (200 mm)
Diameter: .6 inches (15 mm)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought them at princess auto. It wasn't specifically for my car. I just bought the struts then a little kit with the 90 degree mounting bracket. I'm thinking i might have mounted them too low on the hood so they don't have much upward force. I will try remounting tomorrow

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I bought them at princess auto. It wasn't specifically for my car. I just bought the struts then a little kit with the 90 degree mounting bracket. I'm thinking i might have mounted them too low on the hood so they don't have much upward force. I will try remounting tomorrow

Why not see if you can get your money back and try JuneBug's solution? If it was my neck under that hood, I'd want to think it'll stay up!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the struts were on sale and I've spent under $20 for parts so if it doesn't work then it's not too big of a deal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts