Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonderd how different they would really be and while looking at the Car & Driver test of a Limited 6 I think I got my answer. Just like I was saying all along. The 6 would not be close to the 4 .. C&D's test car (with more miles on it then mine) got 16 mpg as a combined and we got 21 combined the first tank.. :):) that over 30% better.... Im so happy we got the 4:)

Frank

B

·
0 Posts
When I was talking with the dealer during the test drive, he said a v6 would be too much power for the car, and I definitely agree with him.
Not to mention getting the 4 banger's gonna save some money when it comes to gas :p

·
Registered
332 Posts
bzktnkorn5 said:
When I was talking with the dealer during the test drive, he said a v6 would be too much power for the car, and I definitely agree with him.
Exactly. I don't think I need more power. For my 99% driving, 166HP is more than enough. And I feel it's still much faster than my old V6 car and V6 minivan. I could drive 170km/h at easy and comfortable. Acceleration to 140km/h was quick and smooth. No problem w/ 4 banger. :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
flyingn said:
I wonderd how different they would really be and while looking at the Car & Driver test of a Limited 6 I think I got my answer. Just like I was saying all along. The 6 would not be close to the 4 .. C&D's test car (with more miles on it then mine) got 16 mpg as a combined and we got 21 combined the first tank.. :):) that over 30% better.... Im so happy we got the 4:)

Frank
Frank,

You're leaving out one thing that they mention in the article though:

"Our fuel card reported 16 mpg overall, but we feel duty-bound to disclose that it was set mostly during hard mountain driving. "

It's one thing if they said that they were disappointed in the mileage, based on estimates. But they came out and said that most of it was during hard mountain driving. It would be interesting to compare yours in the same condition to theirs. To be honest, I'd be pretty disappointed in your 21 for the 4 cylinder, especially if it weren't in hard mountain driving.

The entire C&D article can be read at:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=10394

H

·
0 Posts
When Consumer Reports tested the previous RAV4, their average mileage was 21mpg (which corresponded to the EPA city figure). The EPA city figure for the new RAV4 is 23, so a well broken in 2006 should average that amount. I'd imagine the V6 will average in the high teens anyhow (excluding any hard mountain driving, that is).

S

·
0 Posts
I had a service tech at Toyota confide in me that he hopes they were very careful to make sure sure the drive train was up to the HUGE difference in HP and torque in the bigger engine. I have no problem with more power, but having driven many "muscle" cars with bigger engines shoved in, its a lot more fun, but you do break more things. i know this is different since it was engineered by the company, but this is also the company who couldn't fix a dash rattle in 4 years.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am 63 yrs old,an old sixties with lots of experience with real high performance cars.I drove the V6 Rav4,it rivals my 300 hp 1966 Corvette for 1/4 mile times,its truly quick and torquey.My Vette got about 14 MPG overall.The Rav4 V6 gets about 24-25 in overall sane driving.Big improvement.However,I can almost gurantee that those that own the V6 do so for the rapid accelleration when you plant your foot down authorativly and that 24 to 25 MPG will be a distant memory,more like 17 to 20,which is still better than the Vett.I own a 2006 I4 Base it has pleanty of power when ya want or need it,but not so much as to be tempting me to punch it for the thrill factor,otherwise,If ya need to tow a boat of something big..get the V6.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This thread is almost 1 yr old.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree with Jimbow.

I totally agree with Jimbow. The V6 RAV4 I have has averaged about 21 MPG in the first 8 months. My best mileage was 26.2, all highway on a 400 mile trip cruising at 75 MPH, my worst was 17.9, when I moved 11 miles on one hour during a snowstorm during the tankfull. It's apparent to me that if you accelerate very lightly, you can easily obtain 22 or more MPG per tank. But just a few fast starts in one tankfull can push your mileage down below 20 MPG. I'm still very happy I got the V6. It makes driving a pleasure. Plus, if you keep the RAV4 for many years, the difference in price isn't that much,since the V6 will recoup some of the purchase price difference when you sell it. I've recorded all of my gas mileage for the first 10,000 miles. I'll post the stats shortly.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Jimbow said:
...However,I can almost gurantee that those that own the V6 do so for the rapid accelleration when you plant your foot down authorativly and that 24 to 25 MPG will be a distant memory,more like 17 to 20,which is still better than the Vett.I own a 2006 I4 Base it has pleanty of power when ya want or need it,but not so much as to be tempting me to punch it for the thrill factor,otherwise,If ya need to tow a boat of something big..get the V6.
During the holidays, we used the RAV to haul family & friends around: to the airport, shopping, visits, etc.....fully loaded and the worst tank was.....22.45MPG. For 2006, Apr. to Dec. avg. was 23.47MPG with over 50% city driving AND revving her up every chance I get to hear that sweet V6 growl. We don't get to do extended freeway driving because most of our traveling is by air and/or overseas. :)

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:roll: here we go again..

Jimbow said:
I am 63 yrs old,an old sixties with lots of experience with real high performance cars.I drove the V6 Rav4,it rivals my 300 hp 1966 Corvette for 1/4 mile times,its truly quick and torquey.My Vette got about 14 MPG overall.The Rav4 V6 gets about 24-25 in overall sane driving.Big improvement.However,I can almost gurantee that those that own the V6 do so for the rapid accelleration when you plant your foot down authorativly and that 24 to 25 MPG will be a distant memory,more like 17 to 20,which is still better than the Vett.I own a 2006 I4 Base it has pleanty of power when ya want or need it,but not so much as to be tempting me to punch it for the thrill factor,otherwise,If ya need to tow a boat of something big..get the V6.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just want to know how people are driving their V6s that they're doing 16-21mpg combined...When I take ours out for a tank of gas, I last got 27.8mpg, whereas my wife last got 23.4mpg...she's a decidedly more aggressive driver than am I. Still, that 23.4mpg puts the 3.5l RAV on par with both her Saturn's 3.0l v6 (a dog, comparatively) at 23-24mpg when I drive, and my Jetta 2.8l VR6 (faaaaast) at 24.8mpg. Suffice it to say, I'm thoroughly impressed with the efficiency compared to its US and German counterparts.

I'd be curious to see someone's 0-60 times for the 3.5l V6...I know the Jetta can pull it off in just over 6 seconds, whereas the saturn's closer to 9. My best estimate (since I haven't officially timed it, and don't have diagnostic tools like I do for the Jetta) puts it around 7-7.5 seconds. Not too shabby, either.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
RAV4 V6 INFO

Bundalo, If I use my RAV4 around town for short trips (5 Mile or so) and stop and go I get about 19 MPG. A mix of local traffic and suburban hwy is about 23. Steady 65 shows better than 27 on Scangauge. I drive with a light foot but use the power when I need it or feel like fun.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ahhh, gotcha...where we live is mostly rural/suburban, which is most of what my wife drives, giving her the 23....I usually drive a mix of rural/suburban with the vast majority of my driving being interstate. (Around Washington DC, interstate equates to suburban driving, given the congestion. :D )I'd guess driving around in someplace like north Jersey would put us down around 19mpg, too, then. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wonder why Toyota doesn't offer the 5-spd in the I-4? The CR-V has a 5-spd, and its mileage is about the same as ours with the 4-spd. What kind of mileage do you think we could get in the I-4 with a 5-spd auto? I think we could at least do better on the hwy; maybe something like:

2wd: 24 city - 34 hwy (same as Camry 4cyl)
4wd: 23 city - 31 hwy

Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts