Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a road trip from Arkansas to Colorado for Thanksgiving. My gas mileage was the pits :surprise, I just can't understand it. I had the Rav loaded with all kinds of stuff for the kids, I was driving 80mph and i was bucking either a strong head wind or a strong cross wind. The worst I got was 19.8mpg. I guess they just don't make them like they use to. :wink

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Driving 80 and the headwind was your problem.

Our '15 XLE pulled averages close to 30 coming home from San Antonio.

My Tacoma gets about 25 on the same trip at 65-70... 22 at 80.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what my problem was, that was just a fun post. The wind was bad enough, that I ran mostly in 5th gear and sometimes in 4th gear when I was going up hills. If I backed off on the speed, I would see the mpg go up but with a 11 hour trip and gas at $1.90/gas, I was more into speed than into good gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We had our 2009 v6 loaded to the gills and with a big cargo carrier up top going 80 as well on our move from Ohio to Washington. Still averaged 23mpg even when crossing the Rockies. Which is right around the running average we have with around town driving. Just seems to be the mileage it likes to get regardless of conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts