• 4 cylinder - am getting 10% or worse of the advertised MPG

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's get your stats on gas mileage. Before I spend 25-30k for a Rav4, I want to check if the MPG rating is not accurate in the real world.

If you are getting much better or worse than the advertised MPG, tell us your specific information ... hill driving, city only, lot's of stop & go, highway speeds over 65 mph etc

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Welcome to the forums sloopG :D

I am going to help give you better responses to your poll by moving your poll to the proper forum. Your poll will be moved to the 4.3 General forum.

Just for your information. The 4.1 General forum is for owners of 1995 - 2000 model year RAVs. :D From reading your post, it appears you are considering a new 2006 RAV4, therefore the folks in the 4.3 (2006+ RAV4 owners) forums would be better at answering your poll. :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think a better way to do a mileage poll would be to have the poll selections based on observed mpg. i.e

POLL
How many MPG did you get with your last tank with your RAV4 V6?:

16:
17:
18:
19:
20:
21:
22:
23:
24:
25:
26:
27:
28:

and allow everybody to vote more than once (is this possible?). That way you can build up some good stats on how everybody is doing overall. Of course the I4 and V6 need separate polls (maybe even I4 FWD, I4 4X4, V6 FWD, V6 4x4.

Make sense?.

-steve

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i just got to the 3/4 tank mark and had about 80 miles on her :D

v6 too

·
Registered
652 Posts
sloopG said:
Let's get your stats on gas mileage. Before I spend 25-30k for a RAV4, I want to check if the MPG rating is not accurate in the real world.

2 things....... the poll question is worthless when it has both the 4 and the 6 in it. Since it is based on a total of 100%, depending on who is voting 4 cyl or 6 cyl, the results will be useless.

The second thing is that no vehicle will get advertised results. If you're that worried about the gas mileage you shouldn't be looking in this category of vehicle.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm curious. How can you really tell what your mileage is unless you drive at the same rate of speed, have the same stops, accelerate the same, etc? I think we would have to be robots driving in a robotic world in order for us to get the most accurate results!

Okay...I'm just in a goofy mood because I don't feel well AT ALL today....but, that is my ponderings of life today! LOL!

After this tank of gas (I'm just below 1/2 tank on my second tank of gas and just hit 500 miles, and I drive 99.9% stop-and-go city with hills and school zones and idiotic drivers that don't know what to do at a stop sign), so I'm not even going to worry about my mileage until I am on a roadtrip, driving on the freeway nonstop. Then again...it really isn't a worry for it...it will be out of pure curiosity. I guess it is a mute point with me.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Janos said:
The second thing is that no vehicle will get advertised results. If you're that worried about the gas mileage you shouldn't be looking in this category of vehicle.
Janos,
Its definitely acheivable.
I often get the advertised mileage on vehicles I drive and sometimes better. The way you drive will greatly affect you MPG.

Maybe you should think of it as it could get up to particular MPG figure under best conditions.

Ken

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
You can get an average mpg per tank. The next time you fill up; set the trip meter to zero. The very next time you fill up; divide the miles driven on your trip meter by the gallons pumped to get the MPG. I do this all the time. It's pretty accurate. Also, I drive mostly highway and got the results advertised in my last two trucks.

The poll is incorrect for percentages, but somewhat useful for the counts.

·
Registered
652 Posts
joecarnut said:
Janos,
Its definitely acheivable.
I often get the advertised mileage on vehicles I drive and sometimes better. The way you drive will greatly affect you MPG.

Maybe you should think of it as it could get up to particular MPG figure under best conditions.

Ken
Hmmm..... I guess I generalized.......ok let me rephrase.......

On average ....... yada yada yada.

I've gotten better mileage than stated on cars and I've gotten worse, your right, it's all in how ya drive.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that the poll would be more meaningful if I asked the same set of questions for city vs highway driving and 2WD vs 4WD. I'll have to rely on messages in addition the the poll to help sort that out. I usually set my gas mileage expectation by discount the rated gas mileage rating by 10%. If a significant number of people are getting worse than that, it's a red flag to me. As with most polls, the larger the number of responses, the more significant the results.

As far as calculating MPG, I use the simple method of filling up to the second click stop on the gas pump and then divide the gallons purchased into the amount of miles since the last fill up. Not totally accurate but close enough for my purposes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am trying to get an accurate measure on my 97 Rav4, 4-door, my best guess is that I am getting close to 22mpg. on an average.All the reviews say that I should be getting 28 mpg., I have done the tune up, and tried to drive in the recomended speeds, but not much better than 22 mpg. yet. good luck,,,,

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
peppster66 said:
I am trying to get an accurate measure on my 97 RAV4, 4-door, my best guess is that I am getting close to 22mpg. on an average.All the reviews say that I should be getting 28 mpg., I have done the tune up, and tried to drive in the recomended speeds, but not much better than 22 mpg. yet. good luck,,,,

Are you driving...

4 cyclinder or V6?
2 wheel drive or 4WD?
Mostly stop & go, highway or mixed?
flat ground or hills?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sloopG said:
Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that the poll would be more meaningful if I asked the same set of questions for city vs highway driving and 2WD vs 4WD. I'll have to rely on messages in addition the the poll to help sort that out. I usually set my gas mileage expectation by discount the rated gas mileage rating by 10%. If a significant number of people are getting worse than that, it's a red flag to me. As with most polls, the larger the number of responses, the more significant the results.

As far as calculating MPG, I use the simple method of filling up to the second click stop on the gas pump and then divide the gallons purchased into the amount of miles since the last fill up. Not totally accurate but close enough for my purposes.
Its a fun and useful poll.
Awesome for us "wantabe" RAV4 owners.
Ken

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just checked for the 3rd time. 220 miles/8.8 gallons = 25 mpg 50/50 hwy city. I think it will hit EPA city of 22 consistantly and 2 under for the hwy @ 29( 27)

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
welll.... so for it looks like Im NOT seeing what I was so damn sure I was gonna see with this 4 vs 6 gas mileage debate. I thought that the 6 would equal the 4 on the highway but would fall short in the city cycle. But it looks like its the just the Opposite.. Hmm weird.. So much for my insight lol :roll:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Frank, this V6 versus I4 debate is interesting. What makes the V6 compelling is the fact that it is more motor than what is needed. I truly believe thats why the gas milage figures are so close. Its like a late model Vette. It gets great gas milage (provided you take it easy) because of its displacement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts