Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 348 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made my first long trip (350 miles) with my V6 Limited. Got 30.3 MPG. This included mountain driving and the air conditioner on. Lots of driving at 70-75 mph. Very happy. Around town I have been getting 24 mpg (mixed highway and city). 87 octane fuel. Tires at 33 psi.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had my 1st fill up yesterday.
Got exactly 20 MPG with roughly 75% city/hills + 25% highway (with some stop and go for about 10% of that). I've kept my tires at 37 psi. I understand that it takes a bit of driving and a few tanks of gas before the real fuel economy can be calculated.
This is the 1st time I have ever paid roughly $40.00 to fill up a tank of gas! No fault of the RAV, just these insane gas prices.
INSANE.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CONAN,

I use to own a Nissan Titan 4x4 and I was getting around 10 mpg with all city driving. It has 28.2 gallon tank and takes around $70 - $80 to fill her up

Here in San Francisco Bay Area, average reg. gas cost $3.40/gallon. Thats why I sold it and now I'm waiting for a 06 Rav 4x4 sport v6

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, but I'm glad I sold that Titan

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
calkiwi:

My V6 RAV is 4 WD. My combined city and highway (50-50) has been consistently around 24 mpg. I have 1700 miles on my RAV to date.

·
Registered
118 Posts
swim4tom said:
CONAN,

I use to own a Nissan Titan 4x4 and I was getting around 10 mpg with all city driving. It has 28.2 gallon tank and takes around $70 - $80 to fill her up

Here in San Francisco Bay Area, average reg. gas cost $3.40/gallon. Thats why I sold it and now I'm waiting for a 06 RAV 4x4 sport v6

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, but I'm glad I sold that Titan
I hear Ya! I had a Dodge Ram Quad Cab, Hemi 4x4. 11-12mpg. 34 gallon tank! And Dodge recommends 89 octane in the Hemi's.Most pumps around here would shut off at $75.00. Re-insert card and continue filling..... I got the same Rav as you, and at minimum you're gonna double your gas mileage.

Im glad I sold my Truck too, but the dog is not. I had a cap on the pickup and he got quite used to all the space back there. Hes pretty comfy in the Rav though. I got one of those pet dividers to keep him in the cargo area.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My gas mileage is getting worse, rather than better. 18.6 last fill up. That's terrible. Down from almost 24 the last tank. Really hate to think it's because I'm blowing all the rice boys away. Next tank I might go really really conservative on the gas pedal just to see what the numbers compare to.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
swim4tom said:
CONAN,

Here in San Francisco Bay Area, average reg. gas cost $3.40/gallon. Thats why I sold it and now I'm waiting for a 06 RAV 4x4 sport v6

Had the same Truck up here in Portland. It now belongs to another sucker :lol: I had a heck of a time finding some one to buy mine too! I feel fortunate to have been able to sell it with the gas prices so high :D

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am at 3700 miles with my V6 AWD and I just got 23 MPG on mixed driving with a periodic lead foot. That has been pretty consistent.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, I had Dodge Ram, quad cab, 4X4 w/Hemi too, over 6 months my average was 13.3 mpg. Now I drive VW Jetta, 29mpg but I need to pull a small trailer sometimes. All the talk about getting 23-25 w/V6 - hey, getting one as soon as my Jetta sells (c'mon Autotrader!)

·
Registered
264 Posts
My RAV4 Sport V6 2WD had 2 miles on her during delivery with a full tank. So far, I only have 142miles on the odo and the fuel gauge needle barely passed the top 1/4 tank. It'll be extremely interesting to do an actual calculation (miles/gal)after the first fuel-up. 8) :D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, I have a '99 Dodge Dakota 5.2L V8, only get 17mpg on the road.

I'm keeping her but selling my wife's '01 Accord V6. I only drive the truck to work (13 miles) and to haul stuff.

The Accord gets about 27 mpg but it's only 200 hp, the dealship hopes to get my RAV4 V6 in today. It'll be nice to have 269 hp and good gas mileage.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am getting 35mpg leadfoot in the city and 45mpg average...
Open roads at 50 mph are at 60mpg (strictly cruise control) ....

of course, Rav4 diesel.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I filled her up today for the first time since I got her. 175 miles on the OD and I still had a little over half a tank. Came out to be 27 MPG. No highways here, just hilly 2 lane roads, so I was well pleased with my V6.
Are there any guidelines to figuring mileage? What I mean is, would it be more accurate if I was closer to empty when I filled up?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JIMD4 said:
Wow, I am impressed with some of those V6 MPG numbers.
Yes if your commute is allot of highway miles the V6 is your ticket. Not so much in city driving :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine is LTD V6 FWD...
After I filled up the tank, ran 264.4 miles, then I need 10.782 to fill up --> 24.5 mpg...
My driving is about 40/60 of city/highway can be considered as 45/55 since a part of highway getting jamed almost everyday when i go to work...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JIMD4 said:
Wow, I am impressed with some of those V6 MPG numbers.
Don't be too impressed - I'm very disappointed right now with the MPG on my V6 Sport 4WD. Granted, I've been doing mostly city driving, but I expected higher than the 18-19 MPG that I've gotten in my first 2 fill-ups. It especially disappoints me because the city rating is 21 MPG on the sticker, and I thought Toyota had adjusted their ratings system to better reflect actual. I've even been trying to avoid giving in to my lead foot. The Scion Tc I traded in was consistently more efficient than the ratings. :(

Is anyone else with a Sport model experiencing this? I'm wondering if the lower MPG is due to some extra weight from the upgraded suspension?

1 - 20 of 348 Posts