Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently acquired a 2006 rav4 4cyl limited with AWD

my first tank of gas is getting 500kms which is 310 miles roughly when the needle hits the "E".

just wondering what the average KM/miles other members are receiving per tank on the similar models to mine.

also if it's not good then what can i do to get better mileage.

i owned a 1998 camry before this that had a 70 litre tank that got me about 580km/360miles per tank so as this tank is 10 litres less i feel that it's not that bad so far. But i'd like to see what other members are getting. Also wondering if the newer revamped 4cyl's in the next models got slightly better mileage.

thanks in advance

(btw, i tried to find a gas mileage thread but had no luck, if someone could link it if there is one that would be great)

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
This is so so common. Friend, you MUST fill up your tank, then set the mileage odometer to zero. You drive until you need fuel and fill up. Then you divide the miles traveled by the gallons required to fill it up. THAT gives you miles per gallon. Whatever miles you travel to hit "E" means nothing whatsoever. That is totally useless information.

For instance: 100 miles traveled and four gallons used to do so. 100 divided by 4 =25 miles per gallon. It's just that simple.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It Looks like the OP was asking about how many Miles people get per tank, not miles per gallon. Let's answer his question.

I have a 2006 fwd 4 cylinder and I'm getting about 265 miles per tank until E. I usually put in about 12.8 to 13.3 gallons when i fill up. I'm an currently chasing fuel mileage issues and hope to get it higher here soon. My rav4 runs great, but it just higher miles and gets less than stellar mileage. The best mileage i have managed in the city is currently 19.9 and about 23 hwy.

Make sure your rav4 is tuned up and breathing properly on the intake and exhaust sides of the engine. Dragging brakes and under inflated tires will drag down your ultimate range per tank. Driving gingerly always help too, of course.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It Looks like the OP was asking about how many Miles people get per tank, not miles per gallon. Let's answer his question.

I have a 2006 fwd 4 cylinder and I'm getting about 265 miles per tank until E. I usually put in about 12.8 to 13.3 gallons when i fill up. I'm an currently chasing fuel mileage issues and hope to get it higher here soon. My rav4 runs great, but it just higher miles and gets less than stellar mileage. The best mileage i have managed in the city is currently 19.9 and about 23 hwy.

Make sure your rav4 is tuned up and breathing properly on the intake and exhaust sides of the engine. Dragging brakes and under inflated tires will drag down your ultimate range per tank. Driving gingerly always help too, of course.
Your mpg is very similar to mine, I'm getting 21.73 mpg per tankful (combined city and hwy) lots of stop and go traffic. I haven't had an opportunity to take a trip with my RAV yet but I will eventually and I'll update on highway mpg. From what I've seen I'm getting what seems to be the average. If I run the a/c 100% of the time the mpg's drop to around 20. Kinda hard not to run the a/c all the time here.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
The question is "How many miles do you get per tank with your RAV4?" As RTexasF said, this question is totally useless. It always depends on HOW and WHERE you drive, as well as HOW and WHEN you fill up the tank. If you drive only short trips in town, with lots of stop signs and stop lights, you won't get as many miles as you would on a steady nonstop highway trip. If you drive in hilly or mountainous areas, you well get fewer miles than driving the flatlands. Also, when you fill up the tank matters. If you immediately pull over when the yellow light comes on, it will take less fuel to fill up the tank than if you wait until the next day.

A few months after I got my RAV I took a road trip on secondary roads and got 28.4 mpg, my all time best. The distance was 382.3 miles, and it took 13.45 gallons to fill it up. By my calculations, I had about 2.45 gallons left, which means I could have taken it to 450 miles, but I would have been running on fumes. Normally with my day-to-day stop and go driving, I'm lucky to get 250-270 miles per tank.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Nice thought but totally impractical. What if I drove in New York City every single day? Would miles per tank make any sense? How about if I drove in the long stretches of a Texas or Nevada highway every day? You can see this type of information is totally useless. Miles Per gallon makes sense.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nice thought but totally impractical. What if I drove in New York City every single day? Would miles per tank make any sense? How about if I drove in the long stretches of a Texas or Nevada highway every day? You can see this type of information is totally useless. Miles Per gallon makes sense.
Then i would write how many Miles i get per tank, along with " i drive in New York city every single day, or long stretches of Texas or Nevada highway. " yes, mpg will give you more general info up front about how efficient the rav4 is running. But I read it as a simple question from the OP. I'm sure if he wanted to know what mileage others were getting, He would have asked that specifically. *

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Sounds like my BIL who thinks his Odyssey gets better mileage than his Corolla because it goes farther on a tank! :doh:
I'm convinced he just doesn't get the concept of actual miles/gallon. :confused:
Glad I'm not paying for his gas.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sounds like my BIL who thinks his Odyssey gets better mileage than his Corolla because it goes farther on a tank! :doh:
I'm convinced he just doesn't get the concept of actual miles/gallon. :confused:
Glad I'm not paying for his gas.
You could really mess with your BIL and secretly add a few gallons of gas to his tank when he's not looking. Then he'd really think his Minivan's gas mileage was better. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the vague question i guess, but i was hoping to compare with other members with the 2.4 4cyl engines model 06/07 or others with the same model.

i do a combination of city and hwy driving. probably about 70% highway and 30% city. i hit stop and go traffic on the commutes but sometimes they are less busy on the highways it all depends on the day. been driving in nice weather with not much use of AC.

so to clarify further.

After driving 480 km (300 miles) i filled up my tank to full which was 51 Litres (13.4 gallons).

so because many of you on here are american, i did the conversion of miles per gallon 300/13.4. which equals 22.3 MPG which i realize is pretty bang on with the fueleconomy.gov MPG's city/highway rating. Which is only 1 MPG less than what my older 1997 camry ran but a small price to pay for 4wd and all that room!

I'm sure it will change as winter rolls around and i have to blast the heat in winter driving.

I was wondering what other members were getting with their own type of driving conditions.

Also it's nice to see that the ratings of the gov for vehicles actually match what i used.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't usually run to "E". I like to fill up around 1/4 tank or so. So far I'm averaging 275.4 miles from top off to approx 1/8 tank and average mpg is 21.46. I would like better gas mileage but I'm not complaining! I went from a minivan averaging under 17mpg to the RAV, not much to complain about here. This week as luck would have it, I wasn't able to get to a gas station at my preferred interval of around 1/4 tank. I ran all the way to "E", while I didn't run out of gas, I did get 312 miles out of that tank and my mpg was 21.48 Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If I run the a/c 100% of the time the mpg's drop to around 20. Kinda hard not to run the a/c all the time here.
Be thankful.
I'm stuck in Canada for six HELLISH months of the year (they've already started btw) and love to be able to say I have to run A/C all the time. But if you're drawn to it... maybe we could do a house swap half the year. You like SNOW?? :cry:

And WHY.... when you have beautiful climates like California, Arizona, Florida, and the whole South would any American choose to live places like Minnesota or Wisconsin?? I'll never get it.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you but I habitually do the posted 62mph on the highway. And judging by every other car on the highway that passes me... if you're doing a typical 74mph... well heck.... you've made some choices to begin with. So for some people, clocking and monitoring your mileage and then wondering why it isn't better is... ahh.... like eating candy bars on a treadmill and wondering why the other guy loses weight faster. ;)

It's for the 4:4.. but you get the idea

·
Registered
2007 RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4WD
239 Posts
Sadly, that seems to be a fairly common intellectual affliction. I have to bite my tongue when I'm around people like that.

And now, back to OP's question. Our best tank was 8.2 L/100km (road trip, summer, wife felt compelled to drive 75 mph at all costs). Assume that the low fuel light comes on when 7.0 L are left in the tank, so 53 L have been used. That gives a range of 646 km or 402 miles.

On the other hand, my worst tank was 14.4 L/100km (short trips, winter, coldest morning was -28C or -18F). That gives a range of only 368 km or 229 miles before the low fuel light comes on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
And WHY.... when you have beautiful climates like California, Arizona, Florida, and the whole South would any American choose to live places like Minnesota or Wisconsin?? I'll never get it.
California is goofier than heck, Arizona is hotter than Hades, and Florida is well, duh, Florida. I'll gladly invite you to my cabin in WI in whatever season :laugh!

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Be thankful.
I'm stuck in Canada for six HELLISH months of the year (they've already started btw) and love to be able to say I have to run A/C all the time. But if you're drawn to it... maybe we could do a house swap half the year. You like SNOW?? :cry:

Lived in rural Minnesota - great hard-working people, looked after each other, could go away and not have to lock anything including the house, gasoline barrels, etc., except during hunting season when we were inundated with people from The Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul), some of whom weren't nearly as honest. Much different from living in people zoos of many U.S. warmer in winter areas. :smile

1 - 20 of 21 Posts