Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just purchased a new RAV 4 XLE Hybrid about a month and a half ago. I saw that the gas mileage is supposed to be at about 30-34mpg but my car only says 20-25mpg. It only went up to 30mpg once when I was in traffic but never again. Is is normal to be so low compared to the retail gas mileage value?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
More info required. What percentage of city vs hiway driving. What types of temperatures are you driving in? Through snow? etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
There's a lot to learn. Starting with the various displays available for MPG. There are several and they can vary a lot. You've got an average since the last reset, an average since the last fill-up, current actual and maybe one other I'm forgetting.

So start by figuring those out. You'll want to post your location and which MPG display you're looking at.

A new car might average 30-ish in the winter for the first few thousand miles.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Is is normal to be so low compared to the retail gas mileage value?
It's not. The only way to get 25mpg in a hybrid in that weather is if you are driving only on highways and averaging 90mph.

It's a new car. Have someone take a look at it at the dealer for free. That's the benefit of a new car.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Short trips also kill MPG average. That MPG looks like what I get when I go a couple miles to the post office and back home. after the car warms up, the MPG is a lot better.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
This is the screen.I live in Florida.
OK well you haven't really provided enough data for anyone to give a useful opinion. VERY unlikely that there's anything wrong here other than wasteful driving or just bad statistics or both. The only thing that matters is the actual MPG calculated at the gas pump.

Reset a trip meter when you fill and keep track of actual fuel used vs actual miles driven. That's the only data that really matters.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Short trips also kill MPG average. That MPG looks like what I get when I go a couple miles to the post office and back home. after the car warms up, the MPG is a lot better.
This times 10.

How far are your trips? If you're only going a few miles the car may never get the chance to get to operating temperature.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't sound right to me......especially being down in FL. Even here in IL, with the cold, snow and reformulated gas I'm at 32 mpg (which is my worst tank yet) in mixed driving.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just for comparison, we just drove from San Antonio, TX (Deep South Texas) to Spokane Valley, WA (Far east side of Washington) 2100 miles, average of 29.4MPG. That's with a highway average speed of 66. I have Winter 18's on, and had an extra 500lbs of stuff piled into the trunk.

Could be worse, but that's good with me.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Just for comparison, we just drove from San Antonio, TX (Deep South Texas) to Spokane Valley, WA (Far east side of Washington) 2100 miles, average of 29.4MPG. That's with a highway average speed of 66. I have Winter 18's on, and had an extra 500lbs of stuff piled into the trunk.

Could be worse, but that's good with me.
In January 2011 I drove from Baton Rouge to Montreal and back--a total of 14 days and 3610 miles in my 2008 RAV4. I was getting 27 MPG until I got up north where the winter gas dropped the mileage to 25 MPG. With a V6! And this was with the back seat lowered and loaded down with cargo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2006 Rav4 2.4 I4 with just 20k miles (long story) I average just 20 mpg. Maybe because I ALWAYS use the AC and often accelerate aggressively. I hope one day save up and spend good money in indulging this car to all kinds of revisions, detailing and tuning ups because I love my Rav4.

75% of my trips are 7.5 miles long and little traffic. By the way corsair, that profile pic is badass :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have discovered that my '17 Limited can do about 30 MPG average on pure highway driving which is just a wee bit below the 31 MPG EPA estimate. I think I could have gotten better if not for the couple very large hills I have to climb on my everyday commute. However, traffic driving is where this car shines, regularly getting 35-36 MPG if you drive it the right way. One day, I averaged 43.6 MPG on a 30+ mile trafficky commute!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I get about 32-33 mpg in mixed driving. I tend to be in slower traffic (25-35 mph) about 20% of my 24-mile commute. The highway portion is fast at about 70-75 mph. MPG is always about the same, but becoming a bit lower as temperatures fall. I don't see mpg falling much below 31 mpg. As far as I am concerned, you get what is advertised. In the summer, I was getting about 36mph and even a bit higher when I was not commuting and only driving around town averaging where speed averaged about 35 mph.

I think to end up with lower mpg you need to be accelerating quickly and doing it often. I don't do pedal to the metal, but I certainly don't drive the vehicle in a gingerly way. I do tend to get up to speed and set the active cruise control to stay in the general flow of highway traffic.

BTW, my mpg calculation is based on actual miles driven and gallons of fuel put into the tank. The vehicle computer is actually quite accurate, but might register a bit high from time to time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Here's a graph of my car since I bought it showing the monthly average gas mileage. This comes from Fuelly, so it is actual calculated mileage from every fill up. The number in my signature is the calculated average since I bought the car.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts