Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious... Recently got a v6 sport, auto. I've only been getting around 20mpg. Just wondering what others are getting in their 3rd gen v6 models. I was expecting a bit better. Only 59k on it. I enjoy it, but I'm not that heavy footed. My husband will be replacing plugs soon. I've even been putting premium fuel in it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Generally speaking, don't waste your money on premium (higher octane) fuel. The RAV was designed to run on standard fuel, and premium fuel has a little less energy in it than standard fuel, which will decrease your mileage a bit.

Winter blend gasoline also has less energy in it than the gas that's available in the summer.

But most importantly, I learned a long time ago to NEVER worry about MPG. Never. There's simply too much in life to worry about, and once you have a vehicle you have very little control over it anyway.

Life's too short to worry about that sort of thing.

Seriously.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Just curious... Recently got a v6 sport, auto. I've only been getting around 20mpg. Just wondering what others are getting in their 3rd gen v6 models. I was expecting a bit better. Only 59k on it. I enjoy it, but I'm not that heavy footed. My husband will be replacing plugs soon. I've even been putting premium fuel in it.
Is that around-town mileage, or highway? I get 20 in local driving and 26-28 out on the highway(using cruise at 65ish).
IMO, replacing the plugs at 59k would be a waste. There should be noting wrong with them. Also, forget the premium gas. A waste of money as there's noting to be gained.
Maybe you just need to get used to that "lively gas pedal"!
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This will be our first rig in awhile that doesn't require premium fuel. I've owned a couple vehicles in the past, that mileage did improve using premium fuel, so I thought I'd give it a try. Changing the plugs would be more because it's 11 years old and sat, a lot, in what appears to be a coastal town. Rusted areas. My hubby likes to service new rigs as much as possible, after we purchase, especially with one as neglected as this one.
The 20 mpg is a mix. Some highway, some country roads and some town. It is what it is... I was just curious what others were getting.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
This will be our first rig in awhile that doesn't require premium fuel. I've owned a couple vehicles in the past, that mileage did improve using premium fuel, so I thought I'd give it a try. Changing the plugs would be more because it's 11 years old and sat, a lot, in what appears to be a coastal town. Rusted areas. My hubby likes to service new rigs as much as possible, after we purchase, especially with one as neglected as this one.
The 20 mpg is a mix. Some highway, some country roads and some town. It is what it is... I was just curious what others were getting.
Didn't look at your profile, so yes, perhaps some maintenance is justified. Remind your husband, if he hasn't thought of it, about possible fluid changes such as transmission, brake and final drive units.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You're in the zone most RAV V6 drivers report. Here are a couple hundred owners on Fuelly, and tend to match what is reported here:

Toyota RAV4 MPG - Actual MPG from 232 Toyota RAV4 owners

As others have said, expect to use more in city than highway. But it will all be fun. I get by with my 4-cyl but you have to kind of flog it and wait for the power to spool up. The V6 has power to spare, important on freeway onramps and passing sometimes.

Yeah, and skip the premium fuel. But if not convinced, run a test where you manually track (at least) 5 tanks of whatever fuel choices with miles driven and fuel used totalled up. Then you'll know for sure.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Gas mileage for my V6 in town (mostly short drives of less than 10 miles and hilly conditions) ranges from upper-11 mpg to 14 mpg, in highway driving (hills, mountains, some Interstate) usually is 24-26 mpg. Here is a link to some forum discussions about mileage with theV6: Toyota RAV4 Forums - Search Results for V6 gas mileage

1 - 8 of 8 Posts