B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject had probably been beaten to death,

but so far the Rav had dissappointed me with gas mileage

So far, I'm getting about 10L/100kms, or about 23MPG

this is with about 60%highway, 40% city

now... keep in mind I'm used to my Corolla that gets 31-32 MPG consistently.

The Rav has 91,000kms

is there anything anyone has discovered that can help the mileage out a bit?

I know the basic things... Tire pressure, windows up, no air con,

when are the plugs due to be changed on the Rav? I'm thinking a tune-up, switch to full sythetic Oil, drop in a K&N air filter

any other suggestions?

·
Registered
302 Posts
seeing that you have AWD that makes a big difference to your corolla....and I think you are close to what the mpg rating is....

aside from what you already stated..doing a tune-up....let your engine breath better...add a CAI, aftermarket header and custom exhaust to your setup....this does not only help your mileage but also add power....remember power is addicting :twisted:

but as a rule of thumb and as Mensajero already mentioned....take one MOD at a time......

keep those questions rolling we don't mind, a lot of good people here can help...

GOOD LUCK! :wink:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Mine is just a 2wd and i get 24-26 average (with 80% city and 20% hwy). I've been driving speed limit only, which makes a lot of people mad (oh well :roll:) so i'll probably get 27.

On another note, i have a sign on my back windshiled that says: Will try driving speed limit only!!! GET OFF MY BACK!!! Gas is too damn expensive!! :p So far it works and nobody can get mad at me for driving "slow" cuz i already warned them :p

·
Registered
302 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
On another note, i have a sign on my back windshiled that says: Will try driving speed limit only!!! GET OFF MY BACK!!! Gas is too damn expensive!! :p So far it works and nobody can get mad at me for driving "slow" cuz i already warned them :p

:lol:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Disappointed? Actually, that's pretty good, relative to what I get.

I've been getting around 10.7 L/100 Km. Actually, I drive about 50/50 city and urban highway. I don't hit the mother lode - 8.5 L/100 Km - unless I drive long distances on long stretches of highway, including winding, rolling mountain roads.

Just an aside, ever since I've started using my cruise control more regularly, I've noticed a marginal increase in my mileage.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow.. and you have a manual.. I would suspect you would be definately able to get better mileage then that!!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bzride said:
wow.. and you have a manual.. I would suspect you would be definately able to get better mileage then that!!
Well, it's also driving habit too. I've been driving manual since I was 17 (although I learned and took my road test with an automatic when I was 16).

According to Natural Resources Canada numbers (and I suspect the US EPA numbers too), fuel economy of the RAV4 is slightly better with AUTOMATIC than with MANUAL, and so has been the case for many pickups and SUVs in the past few years when they've made automatics more efficient (and practical).

It's too late now, but for a while yesterday, I was wondering why I didn't get an automatic, given that I live in the city. However, we can't turn back the clock now. :wink:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think the reason why the automatic gets better mileage is that 5th gear in the manual is quite low geared, and not good for highway cruising.

Mine actually drinks less in the city than on the freeway

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EHinthe604 said:
bzride said:
Well, it's also driving habit too. I've been driving manual since I was 17 (although I learned and took my road test with an automatic when I was 16).

According to Natural Resources Canada numbers (and I suspect the US EPA numbers too), fuel economy of the RAV4 is slightly better with AUTOMATIC than with MANUAL, and so has been the case for many pickups and SUVs in the past few years when they've made automatics more efficient (and practical).

It's too late now, but for a while yesterday, I was wondering why I didn't get an automatic, given that I live in the city. However, we can't turn back the clock now. :wink:

well.. like I mentioned earlier... I'm just used to my Manual 5 speed Corolla :lol:
I get 32mpg consitently out of her!!! If it's all highway driving I can easily get 700kms to a tank!! I can only wish the Rav would get that sort of mmileage.

I guess I was just surprised because the engine in the Rav is only .2 litres bigger in size... and I know the Rav would be a bit heavier... but not really that much heavier

what is the curb weight of the 2002 model?? I know the AWD system must add alot of weight to the vehicle

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
raising the tire pressure should help a little.

blah, we should have bought a Subaru WRX wagon instead. about the same MPG and cargo room but much faster, nimbler, etc...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mine 17mpg all city (no aircon).....and 24mpg all 90%highway/10%city.

is it good or bad? any improvement guys for my rav4?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update...

I just got back from a weekend trip to Seattle. I got about 8.7L/100km with mostly freeway driving, some stop-and-go city driving, and the A/C on about 75% of the time. Still within range. :)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Portege_RAV4 said:
17mpg all city with no a/c??? :?... that's kinda low... :? I drive 95% city and i get 24+mpg. Maybe it's your driving habits? I get about 25-27mpg with the same 95% city and 5% highway. I think if were to drive 90% highway and 10% city, i'd probably get 31+mpg :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
garfieldgurl said:
Portege_RAV4 said:
17mpg all city with no a/c??? :?... that's kinda low... :? I drive 95% city and i get 24+mpg. Maybe it's your driving habits? I get about 25-27mpg with the same 95% city and 5% highway. I think if were to drive 90% highway and 10% city, i'd probably get 31+mpg :D
driving habit? can you give me some tips to improve my gas mileage? :D
ty.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
accelerate gently and evenly as much as you can. on the highway, try not to accelerate nor decelerate abruptly. keep the gas pedal steady.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update: 50% thruway 50% city.....22mpg

i noticed something about the Aircon....Aircon is off but still i can adjust the hot or cold air coming out from my grille. just wonder if my aircon is ON eventhough the light at aircon button is OFF.

help pls.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am now getting 27.5-28 mpg. Noticed 2 things of late:
1. As the temperatures have dropped slightly in central texas, the gas mileage went up by half a point.
2. When the gas light comes on, I can pump only about 11.5-11.75 gallons before the pump stops. Previously it used to be 12 gallons.

So I now get about a 1000 miles for 3 fillups. 9 fillups before an oil change.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
22mpg? That's better :)

Portege, do you, by any chance, have the setting on defroster? Do you turn the fan on? Because if you do, the A/C is on, even if you don't see a light on :roll:. Lots of people had complained, and still do, about that "feature" that the Toyotas have.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
garfieldgurl said:
22mpg? That's better :)

Portege, do you, by any chance, have the setting on defroster? Do you turn the fan on? Because if you do, the A/C is on, even if you don't see a light on :roll:. Lots of people had complained, and still do, about that "feature" that the Toyotas have.

setting on defroster?

the fun is turn OFF and the A/C light is OFF but i feel the air coming out from the grill, the problem is when i turn the knob to hot setting the air coming out from the grille is getting HOT. so i'm wondering if the A/C is ON (even though fun and AC light is OFF). :?:

22mpg for 50/50 city and thruway is good? hmmmm i thought it should be 28 to 33mpg :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts