Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is actually the first fill up I did in my car since I have only owned it for week. I was at a gas station and filling it up when I noticed gas started to spill out at the nozzle. I had to act quickly and release the trigger on the nozzle since I had it locked open during the pumping. Gas ran down the paint but I am not too worried since on day 1 I completely waxed and sealed the paint. After the spill I just washed my car again and reapplied waxed and sealed it again since the gas might have stripped it off.

But has this happened to anyone else? I am hoping it was a faulty nozzle and not a issue with my Rav4's filler neck. I guess I will find out at my next fill up.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Same here. Just be careful not to let it happen again or your EVAP canister will soon need replacing from absorption of all the liquids (gasoline). It is a VAPOR canister, not a liquid canister. :wink

·
Registered
376 Posts
Happened to me; Has the pump on very slow and it never clicked off, and it dribbled about a cup or so down the paint. I blamed the pump location; car not level and maybe the nozzle was not sensing it was full. Or the nozzle was in a position against the filler tube not allowing shutoff... Anyway, got home and washed the l/r quarter panel and no damage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2018 Rav two weeks ago. If spills every time I use the auto fill at the pump. It is not a pump issue. It is not operator error. Does anyone know if Toyota had found a fix?

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
I bought a 2018 Rav two weeks ago. If spills every time I use the auto fill at the pump. It is not a pump issue. It is not operator error. Does anyone know if Toyota had found a fix?
Try a different gas station if you haven't already, if it still does it, it's time to see your dealer service dept, something is wrong. In over 50 years of driving and pumping my own gas, it's always been a pump issue, not the vehicle when overfill happens. If you top off after the first click off, you risk filling the purge canister with fuel as Mikey D said, which can be a costly repair.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I've never had this issue happen on my 16. If it's over filling either you don't have the nozzle in far enough or it's a faulty pump.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've never had this issue happen on my 16. If it's over filling either you don't have the nozzle in far enough or it's a faulty pump.
Yup. 90k miles on my '15 Limited, 5k on my first '18 Adventure, (before it was totaled), and 5k on my second '18 Adventure. Never had an overflow. Always go on the slow speed and two clicks afterward. Assuming you inserted the nozzle correctly, it's probably the pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts