Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Regular, whatever octane that is where you live. In the US it will be 87 at low altitude and 85 at high.

Reactions: Gary rav man

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Exactly what's stated in the owner's manual, something owners should READ! 0:)

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
...do we agree that the XLE model takes only "Xtra Leaded Electric"...?

...Still looking for that plug-in port on my Limited...
Agreed on the XLE - that only makes sense.

On the plug-in port: It may be like the new iPhone where they left the headphone jack off. I hear there's a YouTube video on how to drill one for yourself.
I haven't found such a video for your RAV4 yet but it's reasonable to assume Toyota inadvertently did the same thing and you have to hole saw out your own port. Maybe I should try it on my Accord Hybrid.

·
Registered
67 Posts
...do we agree that the XLE model takes only "Xtra Leaded Electric"...?

...Still looking for that plug-in port on my Limited...
There is no port, it is inductive. All you have to do is park next to power lines or a transformer:surprise

I'm going to try to put a limited amount of gas in it today, we will see how that goes, lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is so embarrassing. The port for the electricity plug-in for my R4HL was right in front of me this whole time! I have it charging now, and it shouldn't be too long before I am ready to go again!!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is so embarrassing. The port for the electricity plug-in for my R4HL was right in front of me this whole time! I have it charging now, and it shouldn't be too long before I am ready to go again!!
I am still going with inductive, I think what you are plugged into might be for something else:confused:

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
I am still going with inductive, I think what you are plugged into might be for something else:confused:
No, it looks like the right place to me. And I'm an EE so I'm sure. :thumbs_up:
The main issue is the length and smallness of the charging cord.
To reduce losses it should be much shorter and heavier.
Not to mention how much the electrons get befuddled :egad:by going around in circles.
With all the above issues I really doubt it'll work at all.
Either that it'll take a year of charging to make a difference. :doh:
Even then the results will be Limited.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Exactly what's stated in the owner's manual, something owners should READ! 0:)
This is an old thread but I'm now confused after reading the manual.

I always put regular fuel (87) but in the manual it says (I joinded the picture in attachment):

Fuel type Unleaded gasoline only
Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher​

What does mean "research octane number 91", 87 is ok but 91 is better?! If so, why?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
This is an old thread but I'm now confused after reading the manual.

I always put regular fuel (87) but in the manual it says (I joinded the picture in attachment):

Fuel type Unleaded gasoline only
Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher​

What does mean "research octane number 91", 87 is ok but 91 is better?! If so, why?

Thanks!
Wiki has the answer, for the US and Canada, 87 AKI or (R+M)/2 which we see on the pump here)
is the same as 91 RON elsewhere is most of the world, just 2 different rating methods as RD said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Anti-Knock_Index_(AKI)_or_(R+M)/2

Research Octane Number (RON)
The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.
Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2
In most countries in Europe (also in Australia and New Zealand) the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2. It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wiki has the answer, for the US and Canada, 87 AKI or (R+M)/2 which we see on the pump here)
is the same as 91 RON elsewhere is most of the world, just 2 different rating methods as RD said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Anti-Knock_Index_(AKI)_or_(R+M)/2
Thanks @Quickdtoo and @rdgrimes, I never saw that before!

I didn't google it because I didn't know it was a different rating method, I thought they meant something like "87 is fine but search for 91, it is better" :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts