Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of gasoline do you fill your 4.4 with?

·
Registered
289 Posts
i think the poster asked a question in general Blogson. possibly wanted to know what the concensus was. i have a 4.2 and use e10 unleaded

·
Registered
319 Posts
87 octane. Unfortunately in the midwest, it's hard to find any without ethanol in it. So usually it's a 10% blend.
There was an interesting discussion a while back about how Colorado has 85 octane. That will work fine provided you are at high altitude. If you know you'll be going back to lower altitudes, make sure you put 87 in before leaving.

Anything above 87 is just a waste of money since the compression isn't enough to require a slower burning fuel.

-d

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
i think the poster asked a question in general Blogson. possibly wanted to know what the concensus was. i have a 4.2 and use e10 unleaded

Yep, that's why I include a link to a discussion about what users already have posted about the issue.

·
Super Moderator
10,869 Posts
We've razzed you enough..........Exxon 87 that "may" contain up to 10% ethanol in both our cars.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,511 Posts
I buy the cheap stuff--87 octane from Sam's Club. Never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Anything above 87 is just a waste of money since the compression isn't enough to require a slower burning fuel.

-d
I know the car requires only 87 octane, but isnt the compression ration like 10.1:1 with these engines? Thats pretty high if you aske me. My tl also has a compression ratio 10:1 but requires premium.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hmmm, now I am curious to try out a premium fuel in my 4.4. I put the 87 regular the manual prescribed into it.

I had a serious problem with lack of power this past winter in my vehicle, losing around 20%, perhaps this could fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Compression ratio is just part of the formula. There is also ignition timing delay. Temperature of your fuel air mixture. Toyota engineers already made and tuned the engine to run on 87. But if u want to burn extra money running high octane nothing we can do to stop you

·
Registered
379 Posts
I get tickled sometimes with the "run premium in engines designed for regular" conversations. I've experimented a few times through the years and honestly, could never tell any difference in performance or fuel economy. I owned a 2001 Honda Odyssey for five years. Honda claimed the 3.5 V6 produced 205 hp on regular and 215 on premium. I took a week trip up through Illinois and Indiana from Texas and ran regular on the way out and premium on the way back. I'm religious about keeping track of fuel economy and my log showed absolutely no difference between regular and premium. On the Odyssey forums, there was one guy who confidently proclaimed that he could feel a "big" difference in performance when running premium. I couldn't help but call foul on that one. Assuming Honda's claim of a 10 hp improvement is accurate, I still can't imagine that it would make a noticeable difference, let alone a "big" difference on a 4000+ lb minivan. I know I never felt any performance difference on mine while running premium. I seriously doubt the Rav4 would be any different.

FWIW! :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
I get tickled sometimes with the "run premium in engines designed for regular" conversations. I've experimented a few times through the years and honestly, could never tell any difference in performance or fuel economy. I owned a 2001 Honda Odyssey for five years. Honda claimed the 3.5 V6 produced 205 hp on regular and 215 on premium. I took a week trip up through Illinois and Indiana from Texas and ran regular on the way out and premium on the way back. I'm religious about keeping track of fuel economy and my log showed absolutely no difference between regular and premium. On the Odyssey forums, there was one guy who confidently proclaimed that he could feel a "big" difference in performance when running premium. I couldn't help but call foul on that one. Assuming Honda's claim of a 10 hp improvement is accurate, I still can't imagine that it would make a noticeable difference, let alone a "big" difference on a 4000+ lb minivan. I know I never felt any performance difference on mine while running premium. I seriously doubt the Rav4 would be any different.

FWIW! :)
With age comes wisdom. I, too, thought (in my much younger years) it would give me a better driving car to use the highest octane I could find. To add to the better ride, I had to use major brand gasoline, not the cut rate brand. In later years, however, using research and common sense, I came to realize that the cut rate gas companies were serviced by the same gasoline suppliers as the name brands. As well, I also came to realize that the people who design and build the cars I drive know more about the type and octane rating of the gasoline I should use than I do. So now I find the cheapest regular octane gas I can find and pocket the difference. As luck would have it, the closest station to me also sells gas the cheapest in my city.

As well, everyone knows that the only way to get a better riding car is to give it a good wash and wax. After a good cleaning my Rav4 runs quieter and gets at least 4MPG better mileage.:wink

·
Registered
379 Posts
I Have been such a fool buying higher octane gas for so long
Don't feel bad. You aren't the first to fall for that myth and you won't be the last. It makes sense after all. "Higher" octane, "premium" fuel? It's just got to be better, doesn't it? If the engine is actually tuned for it then yes it is, and for the sake of that engine, don't put anything less in the tank. But if the engine is designed around regular gasoline, putting premium in there won't hurt anything (unlike putting regular in a car that requires premium **) but it doesn't help either and is generally just a waste of money.

Enlightenment! It's a good thing. ;)

** Just a clarification on that - the few cars I've owned that required premium did have a note saying that if premium isn't available, it's Ok to fill up with regular but to go back to premium as soon as possible. You definitely don't want to make it a regular (no pun intended) habit!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The thing that affects power and mileage is gas polluted with ethanol. When passing the un polluted gas accelerates surprisingly well. The polluted stuff, not so much.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Right now using 95 ocataine, but i will move to 98, better milage and smoother engine work.
Not sure if Estonian octane ratings are the same as N.A. octane ratings. No offence meant.:wink

1 - 20 of 31 Posts