Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 14 ltd and just love it! Hands down one of my favorite cars of all time. One thing in particular is the awd system, I'm on the road for a living and my company never closes for weather. My rav always gets me where I need to go, safe and sound without a hint of white knuckle driving, even in the worst of snow storms. The only complaint I can find with my rav is my fuel mileage. It's still better than any of my prior Subarus, but now enter the new hybrid rav. So my main question is does anyone have winter driving experience with the 4.4 gen gas and hybrid rav and how does the hybrid compare? I really really want to pick up the hybrid, I've got prices already. I just hope it performs as well in the snow as my 14 Dino burner.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
In winter conditions, the hybrid will do slightly better than the gas model for MPG, but not very much. For on-road performance it may be slightly better too, since it weighs more and has a more aggressive and "smarter" type traction control. But it will be more alike than different. Putting it another way, for on-road winter performance the tires used will have more impact than whether its a hybrid or not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In winter conditions, the hybrid will do slightly better than the gas model for MPG, but not very much. For on-road performance it may be slightly better too, since it weighs more and has a more aggressive and "smarter" type traction control. But it will be more alike than different. Putting it another way, for on-road winter performance the tires used will have more impact than whether its a hybrid or not.
This idea that the hybrid Rav barely beats the gas model in MPG during the winter is something I see often on this board and it's simply not true. It IS true that the fuel economy of the hybrid is suppressed in winter but that is also true of the gas-only car as well for most of the same reasons (need to warm up the car, cold tires, etc.). The effect on the hybrid is larger but even so, I was getting about 29-30 MPG around town in my hybrid Rav compared to 20-23 MPG in my 2013 Rav4. That is still a significant difference in mileage and I expect as the weather warms up, I will see the fuel economy spread increase to 10-12 mpg or more. I agree that proper winter tires could make a big impact depending on how much snow and ice (vs simple cold) that you get where you live. I live in balmy Chicago where this winter we didn't have much snow so I skipped changing my tires this year.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
The BEST I ever got with my 2015 gas 4.4 around town was 22mpg calculated at fill up, more often than not it was closer to 20mpg. Around town for me is suburban driving with short freeway drives at 55mph and surface streets at 25-40mph, also have several short hills that I have to travel which really kills MPG and EV mode doesn't work regardless of how slow I go ascending them. I haven't had to do fill up yet other than topping it off shortly after I got it since I didn't trust the dealership to do so, but with 200 miles on it so far since reset the read-out says 33.8mpg which isn't likely accurate, but it's a hell of a lot better than the 2015 gas ever got. It's not cold here, seldom even freezes, very mild this winter for the most part.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires defiantly can have a big effect on how the car can handle in the winter. On my rav, the first year I ran with the stock toyo a20 tires and the were fine....I should add we had tons of snow that year. Additionally I had to make several midnight ER trips , in the middle of blizzard like conditions, that same year and the rav never missed a beat or let me down. I suppose that's why I love it so much. The last 18 months I've had continenal dws eco plus on the rav they handle just as well in the snow. I'll probably put those back on the hybrid. I though I heard that the hybrid can actually put 60% power to the rear where the gas rav is an even 50/50 split...any truth to this? I've also heard that because of the two individual motors on each rear wheel it has a greater ability to put power where you need it when you need it. After all the electronics can switch those motors on and off way way faster than any slip diffeerential can react. Thought and comments welcome as usual.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Tires defiantly can have a big effect on how the car can handle in the winter. On my rav, the first year I ran with the stock toyo a20 tires and the were fine....I should add we had tons of snow that year. Additionally I had to make several midnight ER trips , in the middle of blizzard like conditions, that same year and the rav never missed a beat or let me down. I suppose that's why I love it so much. The last 18 months I've had continenal dws eco plus on the rav they handle just as well in the snow. I'll probably put those back on the hybrid. I though I heard that the hybrid can actually put 60% power to the rear where the gas rav is an even 50/50 split...any truth to this? I've also heard that because of the two individual motors on each rear wheel it has a greater ability to put power where you need it when you need it. After all the electronics can switch those motors on and off way way faster than any slip diffeerential can react. Thought and comments welcome as usual.

Read this discussion if you want to learn about the Hybrid AWD system, ST-Bob provided some real good driving experience and info.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/214233-does-hybrid-also-have-50-50-awd-lock.html

·
Registered
846 Posts
Wouldn't the stock all-season tires (Bridgestone for me but I forgot to note the model) have less rolling resistance to get MPG numbers up?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
Some have said that the design of the AWD system on the hybrid is not as robust or capable as compared to the gas model.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Some have said that the design of the AWD system on the hybrid is not as robust or capable as compared to the gas model.
They are two completely different systems. One works off a centre differential that can be locked, the hybrid has independent rear motors and cannot be locked. In city applications, both will do fine. If you are trying to get up very steep and slippery inclines where a locking diff is required, then the hybrid may not do as well. Feedback from owners on this forum has been the hybrid AWD system does very well in day to day situations requiring AWD capabilites.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sounds like the AWD in the hybrid will not be high maintenance then if all it does is go forward and backward depending on the direction of the motor run.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
They are two completely different systems. One works off a centre differential that can be locked, the hybrid has independent rear motors and cannot be locked. In city applications, both will do fine. If you are trying to get up very steep and slippery inclines where a locking diff is required, then the hybrid may not do as well. Feedback from owners on this forum has been the hybrid AWD system does very well in day to day situations requiring AWD capabilites.

There is no center differential in the gas AWD, there is only a locking device that couples the rear drive shaft, it disengages above 25mph, it works like an electric clutch on an A/C pump IIRC.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/126-4-4-mechanical/217481-awd-center-lock-question.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE : Well, last night we got several inches of snow and sleet. The cars had about 6" on them, which equated to 1~2" on the ground as it WAS warm out. That being said the, all the local roads are pretty much a skating rink.....either just pure ice or snow that melted and then froze solid. So I got up at 6:00am and took the new rav hybrid down to the local school parking lot to "play". I can report that I am very, very well pleased with iAWD performance! With the rav in Normal drive mode ,punching it from a dead stop there was about 1/2 second or less of front wheel spin, then the rear traction motor kicked in and stayed engaged and the rav took off like a rocket... On pure ice! Stopping distance was good, and the car stayed straight. I tried a long fairly fast, shallow arc turn ( ramp simulation) at 20~25 mph, she stayed planted untill I intentionally over-steered into the turn. It just barely started to drift and the Tcs/vsc took over and I was back in control before I knew I had lost it! To sum things up I give it 5 stars! If I had any doubts at all they are gone, I would say hands down the 2016 hybrid handles every bit as good, if not better than my 2014 did! On a side note I'm super happy to report that before this cold snap I've been averaging over 38mpg to boot. Limited pkg luxury, 38mpg IIHS top safety pick, AWD......can you say winner!

Reactions: Langutah and Butts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts