Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the gasoline meter on my rav has gone wild... sometimes gas is on the 1/4 line then suddenly it drops to empty then comes back up higher than it was before... now i wouldn't know if i'll be running out of gas... :lol: btw my rav goes 5 km per liter... i guess that sucks too... is that kind of mileage normal? :?

·
Registered
542 Posts
mine does somewhere between 8 to 10km/ltr (depending on how much the gas station cheats me!!). 5km/ltr is much to low for a 3s-fe unless you've done some mods!

as for the gas gauge, it shouldn't read so erratically like that! may be a corroded or loose connector.

where in pinas are you?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I have the same problem because I fill up often but only 15 liters at a time but never allow it to get too low (not good for the engine).
As for the level issue. I think I read on a past thread that the tank has more than one recessed area that divides the gauge recess area. So when the car is tilted, sudden acceleration, or braking the fuel can jump sides.

Walt

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have noticed with mine that if I go up or down a hill the gauge does float around a bit.

5 km per litre? :shock:

Something wrong there............mine gets between 10 and 11.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
5 km/litre, that's 20 L/100 km or about 12 mpg. I think I'd be looking for a hole in my fuel tank if I was getting that kind of mileage.

The needle on my gas gauge will rise and fall but only very slightly. Jumping back and forth from 1/4 to empty is not normal.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup 5 kms per liter... dang i guess there must be something wrong with the way i calculated it... is there like a precise way to measure it coz what i do is i fill the tank up and write down how many liters it took... than i drive it to empty... well not really empty but below the line empty then i measure the distance then i do some math then there..? any suggestions...

peter im from manila :D

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Probably easier if you reset your trip odometer to zero every time you fill up. That way when you fill up, you look to see how many km you've driven since the last fill and how many litres you put into the tank. I actually have a little notebook I keep in the glovebox where I record this info while I'm still sitting at the gas station after filling up.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually that was what i did... the km traveled divided by the liters loaded then thats the km per liter measurement right? pardon me for my stupidity dont really know much about math... hehehe :oops:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Yes, that's it then. So if you went 200 km and put in 40 litres that's 5 km/litre. If that's what you're getting then yours is really drinking gas. I would expect on mine to get at least 400 km out of 40 litres.

·
Registered
542 Posts
hi kwikshift, i'm in sta rosa, laguna. i always put PhP 500 in the tank & reset the odometer to see how many km's i get. i've had something like 6km/ltr before (as calculated from the supposed PhP 500 of gas) but i figured out that the pump was "fixed" and it didn't give the right amount of gas! i think all gas stations give less than the actual amount you see on the pump, just some cheat a little less..

i've found that seaoil unleaded gives the most km's/ltr & caltex gives the worst. petron, shell, & total give about the same, but not as good as seaoil.

5km/ltr is possible if you'r just driving in the traffic all day! i really hate having to go into the city with all the traffic & MMDA's hanging around!!

stay cool bro, maybe i'll see you around one of these days..

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
peter seaoil gas? havent really checked that out yet but i'll try it sometime soon...

JOLLIBEE!!! yep hahaha the filipino pride dont worry drifter if ever you go back here just gimme a ring and i'll treat you to jollibee! hehe :lol:

bmorton... is there anything i can do just to get the mileage up? im really having a hard time... :?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kwikshift said:
yup 5 kms per liter... dang i guess there must be something wrong with the way i calculated it... is there like a precise way to measure it coz what i do is i fill the tank up and write down how many liters it took... than i drive it to empty... well not really empty but below the line empty then i measure the distance then i do some math then there..? any suggestions...

peter im from manila :D

Here's how to calculate miles/kilometers per gallon:

Fill up the gas tank to a predetermined point (for example, when the pump clicks off the first time). Once the tank's filled, reset the trip meter. Then go driving for a while. If you're measuring highway mileage, go drive somewhere on the highway. If you're measuring city mileage, go run some errands or something (city gas use may take a couple of days, but if you're getting as crappy mileage as you say, it might not take that long). Once you've used up a notable amount of gas (at least a quarter of a tank, return to the same gas station pump as initially used, and refill the tank to the same predetermined level.

Here's the formula for calculating gas mileage:

km traveled divided by liters of gas put in.

For example, if you traveled 50 km on 10 liters, you'd have mileage of 5 km/liter.

You don't have to use up all the gas in the tank to do this. In fact, using up all the gas in the tank is strongly discouraged, as it can mess up the fuel pump if you accidentally run dry, or hit a spot in the road where the fuel sloshes away from the fuel pump's intake, causing it to suck air instead of gas. It's for this reason that it's recommended that you keep the tank filled above the 1/4 line in a vehicle at all times.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Works perfectly for gallons. I've found that mine generally gets 20-23 MPG city, and significantly better (25-28 MPG) on the highway. Recently, though, it took a huge leap upward during a highway trip (37 MPG!), which is nice, but I'm waiting to see whether or not it's just a fluke.

Oh, and just in case you aren't willing or can't afford to top off the tank, but still want to keep track of your gas mileage, here's the way to do it while still putting in more gas:

Fill up tank to predetermined level.
Reset trip meter.
Drive.
Partially fill gas tank when desired.
IMPORTANT: Keep a record of how much gas was put into the tank (Fillup 1).
IMPORTANT: DO NOT reset trip meter.
Drive.
Fill up tank to predetermined level.
Note amount of gas put into tank second time (Fillup 2).
Note trip meter reading.

Now, the process is the same for calculating gas mileage, but you have to remember to add both the amounts of gas together.

So what you end up with is this formula:

Add Fillup 1 and Fillup 2 to equal Total Gallons Used (TGU).

Trip Meter Reading divided by TGU = MPG.

You can swap out Miles for Kilometers and Gallons for Liters without any problems.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
To make sure you're maximising fuel economy the top tip I can think of would be to ensure the engine is running right. If it's really sucking back gas (20 L/100 km definitely falls into this category) it sounds like something isn't right with the engine itself. If I was getting that mileage I'd be positive something was mechanically wrong with the car (or a fuel leak, like I said earlier).

Apart from that, keeping your tires at recommended pressure (or slightly above, which is what I do) is a good idea, ditto for having a clean air filter. Driving style has a lot to do with it as well; if you're driving around accelerating hard all the time that will drop fuel economy right down.

·
Registered
542 Posts
high fuel consumption, ie, combustion not efficient, would show up as a high unburned hydro-carbon reading when you have an emissions test. go to a testing center & talk to the guys there, maybe they can help you.

if it's not comming out the exhaust pipe you have a leak some place..

main reason for high unburned h-c's is a sensor problem or a leaking injector.. not much in the mechanical side of the engine can affect it!! maybe there is a resistor across your incomming air temp sensor or something.

there are other things that may effect gas consumption but you'd notice those as a serious loss of power & you are compensating by pressing harder on the gas pedal.. maybe your brakes are sticking (see how hot they get) coz this can really have an affect.

my gas consumption is high too, but 8s just coz i have a lead foot!!

hope this helps yah dude..

hmmmmm, jollibee... think i'll drop by the drive-thru on the way home!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ive never really been a hard hitter on the gas pedal given that reaffic here is sooooo bad i probably run like 40kph average... but still it goes down down down... hehehe lemme check ill be having a scheduled tune up hope that works... :D

drifter- tarlac? hehe pretty far from manila but if ever you find your way to the city then let the fun begin hehehe :lol:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
peterpogi2005 said:
hmmmmm, jollibee... think i'll drop by the drive-thru on the way home!
Dude, that so isnt fair... they need to hurry up and brign jollibee stateside...

kwikshift- Yeah, tarlac :( out in the middle of nowhere. But i usually like to stay in manilla on the weekends while im there. Im actually thinking about buyign another RAV4 next time im over there (december)

Yeah, driving style really effects yoru gas milage... Ive noticed that BIG time, because im usually hard accel every time i leave the hosue (i live on a main road with a speed limit of 55mph) That and I usually go off-roading on the weekends, and out on the trail, i can go through half a tank in around an hour :x

·
Registered
542 Posts
seems to me that the faster i drive the better the gas milage!! just cleaned the air filter last sunday & have gotten about 10km/ltr or more this past few days of screaming up & down the south super hi-way.. yap, even cleaning & re-oiling the air filter has some effect..

sorry about the jollibee thing dude.. i didn't drop by the drive thru on the hi-way in the end coz was busy being chased by a civic!!

problem comes when my better half is the passenger coz i have to drive slowly (or at least at the speed limit!) & then the gas milage gets worse.. kinda funny, ha!! can't be the extra weight coz she's only 95lbs or so..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts