Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help.

So basically I wanna know what the gear box mountain is and I if it's possible to replace it myself without having to spend at my mechanics. Also, reason why I'm asking is coz there's this sound that my Rav makes (1995 model, manual and 4WD) whenever I'm changing gears. Funny thing is, when I Rev to a speed that matches PERFECTLY with the gear, the sound doesn't come out or it just does but a little. Been told it's the gear box mountain. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
That's a new term to me but I'm mainly familiar with North American terminology.
The symptoms you describe would be caused by worn synchronizers. They are internal to the transmission (the gear box) and used to speed-match the gears before engagement. Sometimes they make a slight whining sound when you don't manually match the speeds. To fix them requires a transmission rebuild but if you're careful you can drive a long time w/o that. I'd suggest changing the oil and see if that helps.

Reactions: pico and SaintMoses

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You described the problem perfectly sir. I'm getting it checked tomorrow wth my mechanic. Actually just now, the clutch plate has started misbehaving. I am having problems changing gears. All of them. Actually even engaging one. Some squeeking sounds come as I try to engage the gears. Crazy. I hope it's not a big deal. Is it actually safe to drive it while it's doing that till I meet with my mechanic?Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
The clutch could be causing all these problems. The best way to not do damage is not forcing it into the gears and speed matching when you can. If it's hard to get into first gear that can be done with the engine off then starting it with the clutch pedal pressed.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Learning to double-clutch will add years to the life of the transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clutch could be causing all these problems. The best way to not do damage is not forcing it into the gears and speed matching when you can. If it's hard to get into first gear that can be done with the engine off then starting it with the clutch pedal pressed.
So I changed the clutch plate, pressure plate, crankshaft oil seal. Topped up transmission oil and AT fluid. It's Perfect!! Raving like a Rav is supposed to. Thanks for the help!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts