Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 RAV4 all wheel drive. Trans is A540H on vin tag. Need to replace rear differential, but unsure of gear ratio. Read that all 96 to 2000 were the same gear ratio. Kind of don't believe that since there are manual and automatic trans models. Also read Toyota changes gear ratios in the trans rather than the rear. Also read the ratio is 4.404:1 and read it is 2.98. All I really want to know is how to identify the proper used differential to replace mine.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The diff gear ratio final is calculated at 4.285 in the 99 specs.
And the transfer and rear diff gear ratio is 2.928 on 6.7 inch gears.

So both numbers are correct, the rest comes from the transfer case.

As to which one, I think open or lsd were the only 2 choices in the first gen.
And they say most of the Ravs have the open diff. LSD was an expensive option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so any rav4 with the automatic non locked would be a suitable replacement as long as it is first generation?

·
Registered
149 Posts
All first gen rav4 have the same rear diff ratio. Same as Caldina and gt4 celica. Gears interchange. Housings are different on the others though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am also looking to replace rear differential on my 1999 manual. My online search of used diffs shows that 1995-2005 diffs should be compatible. Is this correct or should I make sure to stay with 1st gen only? Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I have the same question as you in 2015. do you have newest knowledge. Best regards RAV1995

1 - 6 of 6 Posts