Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

If you have a 2004 Toyota Rav4 with automatic, not manual gear shift, would you please check this out for me.

Does the 'shift stick' easily move from D/drive into N/neutral?

Here is my issue. I am driving at say 50 mph on the freeway, and I or the kid or the dog hits the gear shift stick which is in D/drive and it easily moves forward into N/neutral. Without noticing this change, I am accelerating and have no control.

Is this standard on all vehicles? Or do I have a defect?

Thanx,

Tenaya

·
Registered
881 Posts
Re: Gear Shift

Tenaya said:
Hi!

If you have a 2004 Toyota RAV4 with automatic, not manual gear shift, would you please check this out for me.

Does the 'shift stick' easily move from D/drive into N/neutral?

Here is my issue. I am driving at say 50 mph on the freeway, and I or the kid or the dog hits the gear shift stick which is in D/drive and it easily moves forward into N/neutral. Without noticing this change, I am accelerating and have no control.

Is this standard on all vehicles? Or do I have a defect?

Thanx,

Tenaya
That is normal for automatics unless it's so loose that it happens going over bumps, ironically it is for safety. If your accelerator ever gets stuck, the proper thing to do is bump the gear shift forward into neutral and turn off the ignition. You are also supposed to shift into neutral if you ever find yourself hydroplaning, but usually that event is over one way or the other before you can take a hand off the wheel :)

Now by accelerating I assume you mean that you are pressing the accelerator and the engine is reving but you are slowing down, because unless you are going down a steep hill you definitely should not be able to accelerate while in neutral. Kids and dogs should of course be retrained.

·
Registered
986 Posts
He's right, my last car had an automatic and it could be shifted from D to N without pressing the button.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tenaya,
Not to sound too harsh, but how can the kid or the dog move the gearshift when you are driving? Everyone should be restrained enough that this isn't possible.

If the kiddo can't keep from hitting it (and I assume they are older and hence in the front seat) they get stuck in the back. The dog should be behind the rear seats if unrestrained and if in a seating position, the dog should have some sort of harness.

The thing that is of the most danger to a restrained child in a car crash is an unrestrained adult...I'd add an unrestrainted animal to that list.

You? Both hands on the wheel please.

Sorry for ranting, but safety is a pet peeve...

Bogatyr

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi.

Thanks everyone for the info, suggestions and advice that I certainly can use.

Tenaya

·
Registered
422 Posts
Bogatyr's post reminded me of something that's kinda funny (well, it is now, not at the time).

Where we live is very close (about a mile away) to the local Kennel Club, and they have obedience classes for a reasonable price. So about four years ago I decided to take my psycho dog to learn something. She and I got in the Rav and headed off the the Kennel Club. Being completely insane, she was going a little crazy in the car. Eventually, and don't ask me how, she ended up laying across my shoulders like a mink stole!!! Yes, while I was trying to drive. And yes, the Rav was a manual so I had that to deal with too. Remember, this is on our way to join an obedience class! And the worst bit...when we got there the class was full already! :lol:

Moral of the story, Bogatyr is right, make sure your dog travels safely! I was lucky that I'm out in the boonies and on a country road. My Nicky is just fine in the car now, BTW, but she's STILL crazy otherwise, and STILL hasn't been to obedience school! :lol:

Becky

·
Registered
986 Posts
When I was a youngun, back in the days when kids could sit in the front seat, I shifted the transmission from D to R when my mom was driving down the road. You can guess what happened.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts