Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Rav4 Awd hs 275k and my 1997 Rav4 2wd has 239K.
Had them both in for tyoical things (brakes, muffler) and got bad news that they both have rotted cross members affecting the frame safety.
The quote to fix seemed too much to do. So bummed! Both have great engines. Would you sell both? Fix? I have an unhealthy attachment to the Gen 1 Rav.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE
61 Posts
We just traded our 2001 CRV for a new R4P, we got $250 for it haha. And we’ve put two dogs down in the last several years (and got a puppy a year ago).

In all cases the only advice is: you’ll just know when it’s time.

At >230k miles, those cars don’t owe you anything 👍😀

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you put it like that with respect to dogs, it makes sense. Both of these cars have been amazing work horses and good companions.

·
Registered
321 Posts
1500? That's it? I spent more than that on a set of coilovers for my 89 Celica that I got for $800.

Seems worth it to me. Look at it this way. Unlike a dog which is relatively easy to replace with the same breed including color, these cars are not. It is getting harder and harder to find these. What would you replace it with? The fact that you have 2 of them shows some type of love for these cars.

Crossmembers are only a few hundred online, cheaper if you go to a junk yard. Pretty easy to replace, just a bunch of bolts. Now if it was something like the engine or trans had gone out, that's a different story. Crossmembers should take you maybe a day to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Ya that was just for the part. To install it plus do what i brought it in for was going to be almost 4k, just foe the one car. Will look at whether I can do the cross member part myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
That's for the part? Then whatever shop you went to overquoted you or they are getting a factory fresh one from Toyota themselves! In fact, looking at Toyota's parts center online you can get a crossmember for $938.20 so they are upselling you.

You can get a used one online in the $300 range. Pick n Pull charges $67.99 for it.

This is why I do not go to shops unless I absolutely have to. And it's only for things like Alignments or AC related things as I don't have a Robin Air (Sadness). I worked at a Firestone for a little bit and they would charge $150 to replace a halogen lightbulb. They would upcharge the cheapest $15 Silverstar bulb up to $50..... Don't trust shops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 2004 in northeast ohio. If its needs a new crossmember other things are too far gone also. A pic of my rear suspension
Yes, these look like the pics of the underside of mine. The cross member is bad, but Ontario’s use of road salt has eaten much a lot of the other parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
if I had the space and the know how, I wold dismatle it and sell the parts as second hand.
Prices are extremely goo as new OEM parts are ridiculously expensive

1 - 12 of 12 Posts