Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change valve cover gasket as it appears to be leaking at rear section (towards firewall).

NOTE: As it was on a lift to have tires repaired, I noticed oil near rear of engine. Mechanic stated it appears to be coming from valve cover gasket.

So, as I was looking at parts on Rock Auto, I noticed that there was a valve cover gasket WITH spark plug tube seals and end plugs.

These are six extra parts ( 4 spark plug tube seals and 2 end plugs) I was not aware of. The Spark plug tube seals are round and look like they seal spark plug cavity/hole in valve cover and the end plugs look like 1/2 moon/crescent shaped parts...not sure what they are made of

The part that includes ALL of these pieces is a BECK/ARNLEY 0361822 sold by Rock Auto (about $27 with shipping).

Now, has anyone done a valve cover gasket change and also changed the spark plug tube seals and end plugs?

Should these extra parts be changed?
Could not find the extra parts on Toyota parts website.

Also....any advice/tips on changing the valve cover gasket and associated parts?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Yep, I'd recommend changing them since the old ones are likely hardened and won't reseal once the cover is removed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
assistance needed on.....

1. Beck Arnley parts from Rock Auto (complete kit with valve cover gasket, spark plug tubes, and those 1.2 moon shaped gaskets.

OR

2. Toyota OEM parts that cost 3X as much and each part is sold individually.

Assistance needed on:

Tips, advice on performing this job

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
#1.
I just replaced 9 valves on my Accord due to a timing belt breakage. Bought as many parts as possible from Rockauto.com & saved several hundred dollars.
But IMO if you need tips on doing the job maybe you shouldn't be doing it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am skilled DIYer...not a problem doing it....just looking for any tips from those who have done it with this year/model....ex. if some parts need to be removed or not, what to avoid, etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as it turns out, per Toyota,....the 1/2 moon shaped parts are actually aluminum and are re-usable!!

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
When I did my Accord I bought a Felpro head gasket set and had a lot of parts I didn't use like the spark plug tube gaskets. So they are setting on the shelf. Was still a lot cheaper than just buying the individual parts I did replace.

Agree on the DIY. That's me too. ASA long as we know when we're getting in over our heads and when to stop we're okay.

·
Registered
400 Posts
as it turns out, per Toyota,....the 1/2 moon shaped parts are actually aluminum and are re-usable!!
SoCalAngler, I just did this job on two Rav4.1's within the last couple of months. I wrote a DIY on it (linked below), if it would be useful to you, and I tried to put as much detail in there as possible and included pictures. Those half-moon pieces didn't have to be messed with at all when I did the job. As I say in that DIY, the hardest part is getting the dang cover off because of the throttle body bracket.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/266729-diy-replace-valve-cover-gasket-reseal-spark-plug-tubes-stop-oil-plugs.html

I did one job with the Felpro kit from Advance Auto, which comes with the four spark plug tube grommets and the valve cover gasket, and they all seemed to be of good quality and I haven't had any leaks with the Felpro. I usually use Toyota parts, but it I had to do it before leaving town and couldn't get the Toyota parts. For the second job, I got Toyota parts, which were just a little more (still not bad), and they are practically identical to the Felpro. As outlined in the DIY, you just need to get some Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker for the breaks in the mating surface. All of that info is in the DIY, as well as the prices and parts numbers for the gaskets and grommets.

You might want to check and see if your are getting any oil on your plugs before you start this job, because if you are, you will need to reseal the tubes. That is also outlined in the DIY -- but its nice to know in advance if you will have to do this because it will take you longer to complete the job and you'll need a pipe wrench.

Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Felpro parts will probably be identical to the Toyota parts. I just did this on a 5SFE in a MR2. While you're there, check to make sure the spark plug tubes don't have oil in them. If they do, it's a different fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts