Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 LE
209 Posts
Wasn't sure where to put this, thought it was interesting and didn't want to make a whole new thread so I'll throw it in here.

Was just watching this video and at 2:56 they say it's a 2021, looks like a rav4 to me. Replacing the lower control arm because it (one or both of the two bushings) sounds like a squeaky mattress, tech said it's common?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrR4FKrcH4

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wasn't sure where to put this, thought it was interesting and didn't want to make a whole new thread so I'll throw it in here.

Was just watching this video and at 2:56 they say it's a 2021, looks like a rav4 to me. Replacing the lower control arm because it (one or both of the two bushings) sounds like a squeaky mattress, tech said it's common?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrR4FKrcH4
What year, 2020 prime ?Manufacturing defect for sure.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Here in the states, I was notified via email directly by Toyota. Here's an article link about it below. You'll have to search on-line for how to check a VIN as it relates to a recall in Australia because I have no clue. I also called Toyota USA (or whatever they're called) and verified it, along with verifying it at the dealership where I purchased my 2020 XLE. Definitely check it out because it's a serious and dangerous condition if you have bad lower control arms. They can crack and fail prematurely, which would collapse that entire corner as bad or worse than broken ball joints. That could be catastrophic at highway speeds because you'd most likely have that whole wheel depart the the chassis entirely and ripping out all the junk it's attached to. Also, it could cause that corner to dig in, catch and cause a potential rollover situation. Maybe try searching for and calling Toyota Australia, or something similar, if there's such a thing?

Ya I did this recall. It showed up on my touch screen also in addition to a letter I received in the mail.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I thought this problem was fixed…..hippy hippy shake on drivers side mirror—highway speeds. Canada made late 2021. Was at dealership yesterday, but forgot to mention it. Oh well, next time.

·
Registered
21 RAV4 XLE Premium AWD Gas
160 Posts
Rear camber is blow negative limits, destroys inside shoulder of rear tires. No way to adjust and Toyota refuses to fix under warranty.
In the old days of King Pins they used to have to strap the frame down and use a bottle jack to bend the frame, if they dont fix it, you might need to see about bending the arm, if up fixes it, i mean that is drastic, but Tires are not cheap as im sure you already know this.
One video i was watching tonight suggested that, i think in the front the only adjustment is to replace some bolts, not sure how that works, but thats what he said. What a nightmare.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just a distorted driver side mirror and the low speed transmission lurching issue.
These two, plus an unpleasant odor from the ventilation system when heat is used. On the trip home in Jan '19 from the dealership, the cabin smelled horribly of burning plastic and the odor from the vents. Nothing seemed amiss under the hood, but the burning plastic persisted for several days before seeming to go away, only to reappear several times over the next two months of ownership.
The offensive smell from the vents while the heat was being used persisted through the cold months of '19 and '20 although fainter in '20. I noticed it faintly a time or two this past winter, '21/22. It reminded me of cedar wood, but with an unpleasant tinge to it. Toyota did squat about that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Rear camber is blow negative limits, destroys inside shoulder of rear tires. No way to adjust and Toyota refuses to fix under warranty.
I've been behind Ravs (and other makes of SUVs for that matter) that looked like camber was off. I guess negative, tops in, bottoms out. Always thought it was weird, I think my '18 was like that. I'll have to check my '19.

·
Premium Member
2019 Rav4 LE Hybrid
158 Posts

·
Registered
Waiting 2022 RAV4 Trail - ETA 🎃
54 Posts
The Trail(adventure-US ) and TRD are 1.63 inches higher and more ground clearance, due the other models have a detuned suspension as the height/clearance is lower could this height difference be causing this. Is this a problem with all models except trail and TRD ?? or do the other models have different suspension

Thoughts, comments

·
Premium Member
2019 Rav4 LE Hybrid
158 Posts
The Trail(adventure-US ) and TRD are 1.63 inches higher and more ground clearance, due the other models have a detuned suspension as the height/clearance is lower could this height difference be causing this. Is this a problem with all models except trail and TRD ?? or do the other models have different suspension

Thoughts, comments
From what I understand, increased ride height = increased (less negative) camber.

·
Registered
21 RAV4 XLE Premium AWD Gas
160 Posts
Fuel Door Ejection Clip Broke, What pops the lid open after you pull the release lever... part # 77360-35040 4 to 6 Dollars... i purchased another one but dealer ordered two parts, one cable Nut, i told them it was the wrong part, it was the one mentioned above so he said well i will order it but the tech said it was the Nut one, Nope, i was correct.

They just replaced the Pan Gasket Yesterday, under warranty, it had a lack of sealant on the pan, so it leaked Slowly around the seal. They changed the pan gasket and the oil., not the Filter.... Grrrrrr

181 - 195 of 195 Posts