Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the 2020 RAV4 LE in black a month ago. I've noticed that the headlights only allow me to see about 15 feet in front of me at night, creating a black "wall" which is super dangerous especially with country driving (I'm from Texas). I might be able to get them adjusted but anyone else?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The transmission is really irritating even when just coming to a stop. It decides to switch gears from 5-0mph and there's a noticeable thump.

Also the A/C has been noisy at times. Idk if it was always there but I could clearly hear a high pitched squealing. So far I've only noticed it while sitting in traffic for at least 15 minutes. I'll try to play with the settings to see if it goes away.

Probably not a defect but I don't like that the audio source automatically changes to my phone when I'm on the Twitter app. If my phone is plugged in to CarPlay but I change the source to the radio, I want it to stay on the radio. Browsing web pages and Instagram on my phone has been ok but for some reason Twitter triggers a change.
I have the 2020 RAV4 LE...

My A/C was making that sound too. It was like the fans weren't lubricated and it was really annoying.

I've noticed this with apple carplay as well. I like to listen to SiriusXM but if my phone is plugged in and I'm on an app like Snapchat it will switch to "USB" for audio. It's frustrating but I think this is more an Apple CarPlay issue. Toyota is behind on the CarPlay game so there might be a software update fixing that? idk.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I bought the 2020 RAV4 LE in black a month ago. I've noticed that the headlights only allow me to see about 15 feet in front of me at night, creating a black "wall" which is super dangerous especially with country driving (I'm from Texas). I might be able to get them adjusted but anyone else?
Have the adjustment checked as the first thing. Many of the modern headlight beams have a rather sharp horizontal cut-off line to minimize glare to the oncoming driver. This is often not the best beam pattern especially if you are on a road with lots of trees on each side (2 lane road). It's worse if the road is twisty, in my opinion. I don't know if the OEM bulbs in your model are Halogen, but I suspect they are. The dark-light line that is in front is rather distracting and I'm always worried that something will instantly show up on the road in front of me. I assume that your car does not have fog lights and I highly recommend them as an auxiliary lighting source. The beam pattern is low and wide, perfect for the country roads. The OEM lights from Toyota, the LED ones are reasonably priced, easy to put in (lots of videos on this) and will greatly improve your confidence while driving. You may find that, if the OEM headlight bulbs are halogen, then changing them to LED would be better, after they are adjusted properly. Be aware, however, that there are a lot of junk LED bulbs out there for very little money. Many bulbs have a terrible beam pattern. There is lots to read on bulbs, brands, etc. I spent about $50 a pair on mine and am very happy with them. There are bulbs that cost over $100 a pair and they might be even better.

·
Registered
'19 XLE
56 Posts
Hey, just got mine yesterday. Noticed some beeping that the backseat passengers werent buckled in when there were no passengers... buckling the seatbelts in fixed it, but seems like something obvious that they couldnt have overlooked
This has probably been resolved given the time since you posted but just in case - with the seats down as well, it sometimes senses my dog and sets off the ever so annoying safety alarm for the rear seatbelts. Your dealer can go into techstream and electronically turn off the alarm to those seats or you could buy aftermarket buckles to resolve the issue physically (see link below).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got a 2020 xle premium, memory seats weren't working and it took the dealership a few hours to fix it. Also, the smart rear view mirror oddly messes with my vision can't really explain it, but it's a weird sort of blurry when the camera is off, like bad frame rate. Overall though the car is great

·
Registered
10 Posts
Several minor issues I’m having with this car and hopefully the dealer can fix the problem. I have 2020 RAV4 XLE built in Canada.
1. Driver seat defect. There is a foreign object inside my seat that I can touch. It is located on the left side leg support area.I don’t know how it got in, but fairly annoying.
2. A/C noise when I first start the car. I see lots of other people have same issue.
3. Brake squeak first time of the day. When it gets hot, the sound disappears.
4. Steering wheel is not completely aligned with the wheel. When I set the steering wheel to the center, the vehicle keeps driving towards to right. I tried this on the left lane of the divided highway, and it still does the same. I also checked the tire pressure and they are all balanced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2019 XLE Premium - So far just a rattling on the left rear trunk speaker when the bass is up and volume is at about 10 or greater with the JBL system. Dealer tried to sound deaden the area (which I never opened up and confirmed if they did) but said it did not do anything and they reached out to Toyota who says there is nothing they can do about it and is a known issue. Dealer said the speakers are "just too powerful" and suggested I go to a custom audio shop to craft something for it.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 AWD XLE
131 Posts
You should be able to get some padding or insulation and put that in yourself fairly easily. I've had the same issue with stock bass speakers systems, in other vehicles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You should be able to get some padding or insulation and put that in yourself fairly easily. I've had the same issue with stock bass speakers systems, in other vehicles.
Thanks, will give it a go eventually. I'd have to open it and check it anyway to see if Toyota actually put their own in when I brought it to them like they said they did!

·
Registered
20 Posts
2020 Australian Cruiser HV AWD.
Mine was only buit in June 2020 but its GPS data are over 1 1/2 year old. Australia uses TomTom (Sensis) data which get a major update every year. There are many new suburbs in my city not in the map.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
2020 Australian Cruiser HV AWD.
Mine was only buit in June 2020 but its GPS data are over 1 1/2 year old. Australia uses TomTom (Sensis) data which get a major update every year. There are many new suburbs in my city not in the map.
You can hardly call that a defect... Be aware that the road maps are scanned on a regular base, but not all the time. Toyota delivers the most recent AVAILABLE maps. And yes, these are 1-1.5 years behind. Check for updates more often...
Without dynamic navigation this won't change.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can hardly call that a defect... Be aware that the road maps are scanned on a regular base, but not all the time. Toyota delivers the most recent AVAILABLE maps. And yes, these are 1-1.5 years behind. Check for updates more often...
Without dynamic navigation this won't change.
While I agree thats this is not necessary a defect, it is not entirely true that they provide the most recent map available. The Toyota map is based on TomTom which is based on Sensis. Both have significant newer maps. Incidentialy I mentioned that during a service 3days ago. When the technition tried to update it turned out the the map on his stick was evan older then the one in the car. There goes the most recent one idea.

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited Hybrid
150 Posts
But if you check the eStore in your My Toyota profile you can check (and download) the most recent version.
Never rely on a single source...
Interesting. I looked in the Toyota Owners website but could not find an eStore to download recent versions. Can you please help point out the location of the eStore? Perhaps it is not available in the U.S?

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited Hybrid
150 Posts
Interesting. I looked in the Toyota Owners website but could not find an eStore to download recent versions. Can you please help point out the location of the eStore? Perhaps it is not available in the U.S?
Well I looked again and found a place for multimedia updates under my vehicle/audio multimedia/audio software updates. No updates were available for a 2020 Hybrid. I did not see a place to download map updates. Thanks for providing information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I looked again and found a place for multimedia updates under my vehicle/audio multimedia/audio software updates. No updates were available for a 2020 Hybrid. I did not see a place to download map updates. Thanks for providing information.
  1. There could be a difference between the Australian and North American links. I have of course searched the (Australian) MyToyota app and webside and evan persued the 'contact us' link in vain (no reply). All possible avenues went to the instruction 'contact your dealer'. I doubt I could have missed that. I could not see the menu path you described.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts